Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I re-run a migration from a PC?

I used the Migration Assistant to transfer an account from a Windows 10 PC to a MacBook Pro, but wasn't sure the migration was complete, so deleted the account on the MacBook Pro and tried again.

At the appropriate point I was no longer offered the user account to be migrated but only the empty 'Users' folder.

I wiped and rebuilt the MacBook Pro and tried again, but with the same result.

It looks as if the PC Assistant is recording some information about the data migrated, but I can't find what it is. I tried re-installing the Assistant, but that didn't help

What do I have to do to be able to re-migrate the the PC to the Mac?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 1:33 PM

So it turns out the problem is as follows: where the instructions state "Make sure that your PC and Mac show the same passcode, then click Continue." it seems that there may be a significant delay after pressing Continue on the PC before the Mac responds by offering the list of account(s) and file(s) etc.

I wasn't allowing enough time and would go back and retry the Mac client. Although that *does* connect to the PC, the migration ultimately fails.

So the key feature that I was missing was: PATIENCE

Or maybe it was not having a better (faster) connection between the machines.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 1:33 PM in response to macsniper

So it turns out the problem is as follows: where the instructions state "Make sure that your PC and Mac show the same passcode, then click Continue." it seems that there may be a significant delay after pressing Continue on the PC before the Mac responds by offering the list of account(s) and file(s) etc.

I wasn't allowing enough time and would go back and retry the Mac client. Although that *does* connect to the PC, the migration ultimately fails.

So the key feature that I was missing was: PATIENCE

Or maybe it was not having a better (faster) connection between the machines.

Apr 25, 2022 9:34 AM in response to macsniper

macsniper wrote:

I used the Migration Assistant to transfer an account from a Windows 10 PC to a MacBook Pro, but wasn't sure the migration was complete, so deleted the account on the MacBook Pro and tried again.
At the appropriate point I was no longer offered the user account to be migrated but only the empty 'Users' folder.
I wiped and rebuilt the MacBook Pro and tried again, but with the same result.
It looks as if the PC Assistant is recording some information about the data migrated, but I can't find what it is. I tried re-installing the Assistant, but that didn't help

What do I have to do to be able to re-migrate the the PC to the Mac?

hmmm...

Click Continue to start the transfer. Large transfers might need several hours to complete.

When done, log in to the new user account on your Mac.

What data can I transfer?

see: Migration Assistant lets you choose the data to move to your Mac. Here’s what moves over for specific apps and data types:

ref: Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac - Apple Support

Move typically would imply copy...not delete the original.

Can you still boot the Mac? If not this could be an issue... is this a brand new M1 (?) you do not say.

On a new Mac you have call in support—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Support for your product, help with order placed, help making a purchase

https://contactretail.apple.com/Help

Apr 25, 2022 12:23 PM in response to leroydouglas

The problem is not with the Mac.

After deleting/rebuilding the MacBook to 'as new' state, when I run Windows Migration Assistant the PC would appear not to be returning the data about the account I want to migrate - whereas the first time I tried it I was offered the account list of folders etc. to migrate.

This makes me suspect that Windows Migration Assistant is maintaining some sort of state which I can't find to clear it out so I can re-run the migration.

How can I re-run a migration from a PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.