Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erased old Mac OS and can’t reinstall new Mac OS El Capitan

My mother-in-law bought a 2009 Mac computer at an estate sale. I have gone through the steps to erase the Macintosh HD disk utility as I don’t have the former owner’s information and I’m trying to reinstall the OS system. I cannot access the App Store. I cannot access anything. When I tried to install the OSX, El Capitan is the default and the error I’m getting is that the system states the item is temporarily unavailable. I’m stuck. I have tried Command + Option + R + P as well as Option Shift + R. I’m not given an option to choose a different OS so I assume this is the latest OS that is compatible with this computer. How do I make this computer usable?

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 11:24 AM

Depending on the exact model of Mac, it may be possible to install High Sierra. (Late 2009 MacBook and Late 2009 iMacs support that)

However, if the only version offered is El Capitan, it's likely not one of those.

If the recovery partition is not working, you will then need to find Install DVD's for that model of Mac or retail versions of maCOS to install a compatible version.

Please identify the exact mode so we know which discs you needl:

link-> Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your MacBook Air model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your MacBook model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your Mac mini model - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 11:24 AM in response to Luckykelly

Depending on the exact model of Mac, it may be possible to install High Sierra. (Late 2009 MacBook and Late 2009 iMacs support that)

However, if the only version offered is El Capitan, it's likely not one of those.

If the recovery partition is not working, you will then need to find Install DVD's for that model of Mac or retail versions of maCOS to install a compatible version.

Please identify the exact mode so we know which discs you needl:

link-> Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your MacBook Air model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your MacBook model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

link-> Identify your Mac mini model - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2022 12:25 PM in response to Luckykelly

So, it can update to macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

You will need a Snow Leopard install DVD or a Lion USB drive to install, and then use the App Store from there to upgrade further. You can buy Snow Leopard retail discs and Lion USBs from Ebay, though the USB drive may be harder to come by and be more expensive.

You can also, if you have another Mac that has downloaded High Sierra at some point in the past, re-download High Sierra and create a bootable USB drive or DVD to install High Sierra on this Mac.

click here-> How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Erased old Mac OS and can’t reinstall new Mac OS El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.