Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad for Mac models with Apple silicon

Will a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad for Mac models with Apple silicon work on macOS Monterey 27-inch 2019 Version 12.3.1? I like the advantage of having a Touch ID on the keypad.

Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 5:03 PM

14 replies

Apr 26, 2022 5:57 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello dialabrain,

Thank you for your quick reply. My macOS is Monterey Version 12.3.1 iMac (Retina 5K 27-inch 2019. It was purchased in July 2019. It does not have the M1 installed at the time my Mac was manufactured in 2019. I do have an old wired keyboard from 2011 with numerical keys that can be used with my current Mac. However, the new Touch ID on the wireless keyboard with numerical keys sounds like a great added feature for security reasons. It is my understanding without the Apple silicon the Touch ID function will not work even though my OS is Monterey 12.3.1. In your post, you said 'Not a problem' and I'm wondering if you mean the new keyboard with Touch ID will work on my 2019 macOS. den.thed said 'No Touch ID and must have a Mac with Apple silicon'. So, what is the verdict between dailabrian and den.thed? Your response will help me decide if I can purchase the new Apple Touch ID or stick with my current keyboard or try using my wired keyboard with numerical keys. Thank you.

May 7, 2022 10:52 PM in response to ARX2020

I have a 24 inch M11. the small keyboard that came with stopped working after 2 weeks so I bought the touch keyboard with numeric keypad. (I prefer such a board). However the numbers on the numpad do not respond with output to word processor or other text program including Stickies. Is the a way around this as Apple keyboards don't have a Numlock key. Help will be welcome. Keith Gould.

Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad for Mac models with Apple silicon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.