Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capacity problem

My iPhone keeps noticing me it has no more space. Once I connect it to my MacBook I noticed that more than 50% of my capacity is used, but I can not delete this capacity. I've read that if you make a backup and reset the iPhone with the backup, it can help the problem. However I don't have enough storage on my MacBook. How can I solve this problem?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 9:23 PM

Hi valentijnV19

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Wondering which iOS is installed on you iPhone ...

.... you may want to update to the latest version (15.4.1) when space permits.

Re: Capacity problem:

There are lots of options: Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with storage:

Storsge on iPhone:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How to: Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

You might want to access old (or new) files from an external storage device, (eg: zip or hard drive).

Connect external storage devices to iPhone – Apple Support (AU)

Re: Back-up of iPhone:

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup – Apple Support (AU)

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Storage on Mac:

How to : Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

NB: For accurate info: choose your Mac OS at the top of the article that opens from the link below:

Optimise storage space on your Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Discussion thread: About "Other" storage files, and why they are necessary on Mac,

How to delete Other files to free up stor… - Apple Community

More info:

How iOS and macOS report storage capacity – Apple Support (AU)

If needed: iPhone support Team:

(There's a "Get Support" link at the bottom of their webpage)

iPhone - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 9:23 PM in response to valentijnV19

Hi valentijnV19

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Wondering which iOS is installed on you iPhone ...

.... you may want to update to the latest version (15.4.1) when space permits.

Re: Capacity problem:

There are lots of options: Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with storage:

Storsge on iPhone:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How to: Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

You might want to access old (or new) files from an external storage device, (eg: zip or hard drive).

Connect external storage devices to iPhone – Apple Support (AU)

Re: Back-up of iPhone:

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup – Apple Support (AU)

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Storage on Mac:

How to : Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

NB: For accurate info: choose your Mac OS at the top of the article that opens from the link below:

Optimise storage space on your Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Discussion thread: About "Other" storage files, and why they are necessary on Mac,

How to delete Other files to free up stor… - Apple Community

More info:

How iOS and macOS report storage capacity – Apple Support (AU)

If needed: iPhone support Team:

(There's a "Get Support" link at the bottom of their webpage)

iPhone - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Apr 26, 2022 9:46 PM in response to valentijnV19

My Dutch is pretty bad, but I believe the big item there is it saying "Calculating......." But that's likely to be a combination of system data and "other". You might check in Settings > General > iPhone Storage (or the equivalent in your language) and see what that says as it's a little bit different than on a Mac or PC.

Not sure exactly what "other" or excessive system data is, but some believe that much of it might be corrupted or other files that are just garbage. Not sure why, but they're not cleared regularly and can build up (I've got a 32 GB iPhone and it can be a real problem). The only way I've ever been able to deal with it was to make a backup to a computer (looks like it's never been done on yours), erase the iPhone to factory condition (it might be faster to do it from the iPhone and not from a computer), and then restore the iPhone from the backup. That always clears quite a bit, although it will typically fill up again.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with your Mac - Apple Support

Erase iPhone - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2022 7:29 PM in response to valentijnV19

Hey there, ValentijnV19.

I am William, and I am here to solve your problem.

Seems like you have been using your iPhone for a long time and you have been heavily using it, causing a lot of cache to block your storage. Cache is data that is recorded to improve experience. I personally think that this is a result of overloading cache.

A solution I recommend is to:

1. Back up all the data from your iPhone to either your Mac or iCloud.
  2. Go to Settings/About/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings and press Erase.
  3. After your iPhone is totally erased, plug it in to your Mac or connect to iCloud to bring all data back. No data will be lost, and all cache will be cleared.

(No worries, if you backed up on iCloud, your iPhone will automatically find your backup and restore it)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

William

Apr 29, 2022 2:57 AM in response to Quhaolu152

I have the same problem (iPhone XR, 64Gb, iOS 15.4.1) - SystemMemory /Cache fills up until the limit is reached.

Note! I DID a complete restore and backup 2 weeks ago - worked fine for 10 days, now the "systemdata" again is >23Gb large and the available memory capacity is almost zero!

This must be an issue of the iOS (latest version!) or of a specific app - many users report this problem!

Apr 29, 2022 7:46 AM in response to OAB1967

OAB1967 wrote:
This must be an issue of the iOS (latest version!) or of a specific app - many users report this problem!

If there's something "bleeding" it's really just more like giving it a blood transfusion and trying to keep up with it.

However, I've seen this sort of thing as far back as my iPhone 4S. It just collects garbage that can't be manually cleared (cache can be cleared) and then it might run against the limit. I've seen that it will usually clear enough that it won't crash the system, but doesn't seem to clear the bulk of it. But it's a temporary fix to restore from a backup.

Capacity problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.