You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple celebrates 10 years of Apple Pay. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have gone back and forth with my bank and with Visa and I keep getting the runaround

Has anyone gone through this? I am getting an Invalid Card when I try to add my card and I have called my bank and Visa and still have not figured out why this is happening

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 11:27 AM

Reasons your payment card may be declined

1. Account suspended for suspected fraud.

2. Address in your iTunes account does not match exactly the billing address for the card

3. Error in credit card number

4. Insufficient balance or you still owe money on a subscription

5. The card was not issued in the country of the iTunes store

6. Wrong expiration date

7. Wrong security (CVV) code

8. You are connected through a VPN provider that makes iTunes think you live elsewhere - uninstall VPN

9. You live in Russian Federation or use Russian banks or cards

Here is additional information from Apple if your payment method is declined.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203005

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 26, 2022 11:27 AM in response to jlophx

Reasons your payment card may be declined

1. Account suspended for suspected fraud.

2. Address in your iTunes account does not match exactly the billing address for the card

3. Error in credit card number

4. Insufficient balance or you still owe money on a subscription

5. The card was not issued in the country of the iTunes store

6. Wrong expiration date

7. Wrong security (CVV) code

8. You are connected through a VPN provider that makes iTunes think you live elsewhere - uninstall VPN

9. You live in Russian Federation or use Russian banks or cards

Here is additional information from Apple if your payment method is declined.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203005

Apr 26, 2022 11:40 AM in response to jlophx

I did about 40 months ago.

Reps from Bank, Apple, and Visa all insisted that the problem "wasn't us."

Eventually started "in-person pestering" of bank's local branch manager every week or so.

An ApplePay user herself, she persevered and eventually found the RIGHT guy in the Bank's IT department who fixed it.

YMMV.

My own assessment is that the process usually works so well "in auto" ... that few know what to do when it "breaks."

May 1, 2022 6:12 AM in response to LD150

My Visa payments were working until a few days ago, now suddenly authentication does not go through. Just to be clear, it is not declined, there is some connection issue. I contacted by credit card provider and confirmed nothing wrong with my Visa status. I contacted Apple, where we tested the payment works with another credit company, so your verdict is not an Apple issue. I can use my Visa credit for other purchases, only not for Apple. Therefore, in my perspective, it is Apple's issue to resolve. The support only follows due process without escalating to a more senior profile or developer - for Apple's standards, I find this pathetic...

May 1, 2022 12:29 PM in response to akichi2910

Re: “… Therefore, in my perspective, it is Apple's issue to resolve … “

The reality is that nobody knows at present …

…however if other cards in your wallet DO work on Apple pay, that might indeed seem to point toward a tech issue within your bank.

(FWIW, that was also my own personal experience as well)

I suspect that you’ll have more influence working with your bank given their smaller customer base AND because they have a significant financial interest in YOU using THEIR card.

I have gone back and forth with my bank and with Visa and I keep getting the runaround

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.