Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memoji Mimicry sans Animoji-compatibility

If I have an iPhone SE 2020 w/o facial recognition or the Animoji app, but memoji mimics my expressions anyway when I select one to edit (no option to record or do anything else with it, just to “resume” pointlessly copying me, which makes it a bit creepy), does this mean that I have a bunch of useless data on my phone from the last update, which occupied more storage space than I have available for cloud backup, making this useless feature possible?

Also, if my phone can actually mimic my expressions even though it isn’t supposed to, according to Apple, doesn’t that mean that they’re kind of deliberately making the iPhone SE 2020 obsolete in certain ways to encourage users to upgrade by citing tech limitations that don’t exist? It seems like they simply choose not to provide the app needed to use the feature, but also install all the coding for it onto these phones anyway in the update, clogging up all their storage space with data that they can’t utilize and forcing them to pay for more cloud space in order to backup their devices. Unless someone knows of a way to use this feature on the Memoji app?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 11:06 PM

1 reply

Apr 28, 2022 6:58 AM in response to KilgorTroute

Hi KilgorTroute,

If you have a Memoji that was previously created on a supported device, your Apple ID and iCloud Drive will link that data. With your device you can create Memoji stickers to use with iMessage. Use Memoji on your iPhone or iPad Pro

"Manage your Memoji

Want to change a Memoji that you already created? You can edit the features, duplicate an existing Memoji with new features, or delete a Memoji.

1. Open Messages and tap the Compose button Compose button to start a new message. Or go to an existing conversation.
  2. Tap the Memoji button Memoji button or Memoji Stickers button Memoji Stickers, then select the Memoji that you want. 
  3. Tap the More button more icon. Then choose Edit, Duplicate, or Delete. 

If you want your Memoji on all of your compatible devicesyou need two-factor authentication enabled for your Apple ID, and you need to be signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID on all the devices. You also need to have iCloud Drive turned on. Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > iCloud Drive."

To help check and manage your storage, the articles below will assist.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

Manage your iCloud storage

regarding recognition and full access to a feature, you can also find some information related to the camera in a third party link here: Apparently, Animoji On The iPhone X Does Not Need The TrueDepth Camera To Work

Cheers.

Memoji Mimicry sans Animoji-compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.