Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a USB installer for another MacBook?

I'm attempting to create a Mojave USB installer for another MacBook Pro (A1502) using my MacBook Air (A2179) and am incredibly frustrated. I have consulted HT201372 and upon the link for Mojave the App Store naturally launches. I click 'Get' which then launches the Software Update module on my MBA which leads to an 'Update Not Found' error message.

I get it, my newer device isn't intended for such an old operating system (FFS). I'm simply trying to create a USB installer for an old MacBook Pro that isn't connecting to the internet (suspected faulty AirPort card and no ethernet adapter on hand).

So yeah, if anyone can point me in a direction so I can create a Mojave USB installer using my MacBook Air (A2179) for use on a MacBook Pro (A1502) it would be much appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 2:45 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Mojave would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Mojave .

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Get access to another computer that Qualifies to Run Mojave even if from a friend, associate, school etc

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 2:45 AM in response to one_rotten_apple

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Mojave would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Mojave .

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Get access to another computer that Qualifies to Run Mojave even if from a friend, associate, school etc

Apr 28, 2022 7:45 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. Unfortunately (in my view) Catalina was the beginning of bad OS's that have been coming from Apple. I'm pretty computer savvy and don't appreciate the increasing control that Apple exercises with regard to what I can and cannot do with my devices.

Soon to be for sale - iPhone 12 Pro and an A2179...

How do I create a USB installer for another MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.