Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while importing photos into Photos App on Mac OS Monterey

Can anyone solve this one??

I exported all of my Android phone photos to my desktop. They all open in Preview perfectly fine. However, when I tried importing them into Photos app, only 2000 out of 6500 files imported. I got this error:-

Cannot Import Item > This item cannot be added to your photo library because it may be in an unrecognisable file format or the file may not contain valid data. (UNKNOWN ERROR)

As I mentioned, any of these unrecognisable files open up in Preview. I've also notice that I can re-save these preview files and they import ok, but I lose the metadata.

Does anyone know why this is happening. I've tried setting the permissions for the files to read/write access for Admin, Everyone, Staff and my User login account. Still no joy. This error also came up on previous version of Mac OS, so it's not just Monterey.

Also, I tried creating a new Photos Library to import into. Still the same error.

Please help!!!

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 12:37 PM

I'm having the same problem. Importing in small chunks of 200 or so seems to help, but it's super annoying. Sometimes I just have to stop for a while and then for some reason it works. I would be grateful if somebody has a better solution.

Similar questions

13 replies

May 3, 2022 12:51 AM in response to phren0logy

I tried importing in chunks of 1000 this morning just to see if it would work and it imported 2 lots of 1000 before I started getting the unknown error thing again. Then on the 3rd 1000 chunk it bombed out with 390 errors. I waited half an hour and re-imported the 3rd chunk of 1000 and they all imported.

So, you've cracked it. You just have to import bit by bit over a number of days. Sounds like Apple need to fix this annoying bug. I though Apple's slogan was 'It Just Works' haha.

Thanks for your help dude.

Error while importing photos into Photos App on Mac OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.