Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail, Safari, Chrome and other WebKit-based apps freeze periodically

Hello,

I have issues on latest macOS Monterey 12.3.1 on my M1-Pro MacBook Pro.

It happens that sometimes any new tab on Safari or Chrome loads indefinitely, and every Mail message content appears blank, which is pretty annoying when it happens in a meeting for example.

The only solution is to wait a dozen minutes, or reboot the computer (but it will likely freeze a dozen minutes before rebooting anyway).

Here are some relevant errors in the console which can guide us to the cause of this issue:

20:21:24.894289+0200	kernel	Sandbox: com.apple.WebKit(26853) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.diagnosticd
20:21:26.130108+0200	kernel	Sandbox: contentlinkingd(619) deny(1) user-preference-read kCFPreferencesAnyApplication
20:21:26.130811+0200	contentlinkingd	Couldn't read values in CFPrefsPlistSource<0x14ba0cd20> (Domain: kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, User: kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, ByHost: No, Container: (null), Contents Need Refresh: Yes): accessing these preferences requires user-preference-read or file-read-data sandbox access
20:21:26.130122+0200	cfprefsd	rejecting read of { kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, romain, kCFPreferencesAnyHost, /Users/romain/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist, managed: 0 } from process 619 (contentlinkingd) because accessing these preferences requires user-preference-read or file-read-data sandbox access

It seems that WebKit or contentlinkingd fails to access to some application preferences then hangs or crashes.

I have no Avast or firewall installed like it is mentioned as a probable cause on other posts.

I also tried to reboot in Safe Mode which does not solve the issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 12:13 PM

1 reply

Apr 28, 2022 11:22 AM in response to Motla

Thanks for reaching out, Motla.

It sounds like you're having some issues with the Mail app, and the steps you've tried to isolate the behavior haven't found a resolution. We can help.

You've tried some great steps already, especially testing in safe mode. Have you tried to see if the behavior happens in a different user account? While safe mode is great for identifying if something isn't loaded properly in the macOS software, testing with a different user can let us know if it might be something to do with your user settings.

Give that a try, and let us know.

Mail, Safari, Chrome and other WebKit-based apps freeze periodically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.