Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I migrated my iphotos to photos can I delete my iphotos file without deleting any of the photos?

If I migrated my iphotos to photos can I delete my iphotos file without deleting any of the photos?

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 3:40 PM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2022 12:08 AM in response to wgtrillz

Hi Wgtrillz.

To migrate from iPhoto to Photos, you simply have to update it from the Mac App Store. This is where you can download Mac Apps. When the update is complete, it isn't a 100% guarantee that you'll have all the photos in the Photos app than in iPhoto. I suggest creating a backup folder to store your photos and then putting them back to Photos after migration.

Apr 29, 2022 3:12 AM in response to wgtrillz

As Niel explained, Photos does not need the iPhoto Library, but you may want to Dave your iPhoto Library somewhere, so you can repeat the migration, should you later discover that the migration has not been complete.

At east test the new Photos Library thoroughly, before you delete the iPhoto Library completely.Test if all videos are playing, test if all faces have been migrated, if the dates are correct, if titles are missing, if the smart albums are correct.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.