Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID

What to do when you purchase or given an Apple device that has an activation lock with no way of contacting the previous owner?

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 9:37 PM

everardo08 Said:

"Apple ID: What to do when you purchase or given an Apple device that has an activation lock with no way of contacting the previous owner?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Scam Sale:

Seems you were scammed, though a full-assumption on my part.

How was this Purchased?

If this was purchased online (i.e. eBay), then contact the site, seeing if the seller can be held accountable, and if you can get your money back. If this was purchased in-person, then always note that it is your responsibility to get in contact with them. Elsewise, it is useless to you.

Learn from this:

If this is a used device, then the person currently signed in to the iPhone needs to log themselves out of it. Elsewise, it is useless to your account. This is the site the seller should have used, prior to selling it to you: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. The seller should have known better. So, return it, requesting that they log out of it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 9:37 PM in response to everardo08

everardo08 Said:

"Apple ID: What to do when you purchase or given an Apple device that has an activation lock with no way of contacting the previous owner?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Scam Sale:

Seems you were scammed, though a full-assumption on my part.

How was this Purchased?

If this was purchased online (i.e. eBay), then contact the site, seeing if the seller can be held accountable, and if you can get your money back. If this was purchased in-person, then always note that it is your responsibility to get in contact with them. Elsewise, it is useless to you.

Learn from this:

If this is a used device, then the person currently signed in to the iPhone needs to log themselves out of it. Elsewise, it is useless to your account. This is the site the seller should have used, prior to selling it to you: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. The seller should have known better. So, return it, requesting that they log out of it.

Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.