Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Ultra Mac Studio Severely Sluggish

I bought the 48C GPU M1 Ultra Mac Studio and it's been running so slow. The benchmarks I've ran all seem to be within reason, however day to day use has been so sluggish. Beachballs galore, freezing, and a Bluetooth issue on startup that doesn't allow any inputs from peripherals for a full minute (using the brand new magic accessories as well).

I use the machine mainly in After Effects and Photoshop, and I've noticed it feels faster working on my m1pro laptop. Wondering if this is just the woes of needing an update, or if I have a defective machine.

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 2:26 AM

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - The Etrecheck Application, if run, will help identify in more details where the possible issue is .

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 2:26 AM in response to JakeInfusino

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - The Etrecheck Application, if run, will help identify in more details where the possible issue is .

Apr 29, 2022 1:15 AM in response to JakeInfusino

Download and install this app

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

When the Mac is sluggish run the app so we can find more information about your installation.

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's Share feature “Copy” that pastes to clipboard. Then paste it in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

o personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

M1 Ultra Mac Studio Severely Sluggish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.