Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new MacBookAir M1, 2020 - want to use an external hard drive for backup

Please forgive the newbie question. My new MacBook Air M1, 2020 has 2 Thunderbolt (I believe Thunderbolt 4) ports.

I want to use an external hard drive for backing up.

What kind of cable or adapter do I need?

Is it recommended that I get the Apple brand?

should I look at a mini port?

I really can't think of anything else I want to connect to, so a single cable is probably best for now.

Thanks for the help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 8:04 PM

DonnaJones7 Said:

"new MacBookAir M1, 2020 - want to use an external hard drive for backup:Please forgive the newbie question. [...]I really can't think of anything else I want to connect to, so a single cable is probably best for now.[...]"

------

Backing Up a Mac with an External Hard Drive:

A. Which Hard Drive to Use:

One that is compatible with your macOS version. Look on the original packaging and see if it mentions anything about your macOS version. If so, you should be good to go.

And...

B. Use of an Adapter:

If you only have USB-C ports, yet the connector on the drive is USB-A, then this is the adapter you need: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 8:04 PM in response to DonnaJones7

DonnaJones7 Said:

"new MacBookAir M1, 2020 - want to use an external hard drive for backup:Please forgive the newbie question. [...]I really can't think of anything else I want to connect to, so a single cable is probably best for now.[...]"

------

Backing Up a Mac with an External Hard Drive:

A. Which Hard Drive to Use:

One that is compatible with your macOS version. Look on the original packaging and see if it mentions anything about your macOS version. If so, you should be good to go.

And...

B. Use of an Adapter:

If you only have USB-C ports, yet the connector on the drive is USB-A, then this is the adapter you need: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

new MacBookAir M1, 2020 - want to use an external hard drive for backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.