Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: “To open this spreadsheet, you’ll need the latest version of Numbers”

Running Catalina 10.15.7 on a mid-2012 MBP. Starting in the fall of 2021, when trying to open a certain Numbers file on my Mac, I get a “To open this spreadsheet, you’ll need the latest version of Numbers” error box that never appeared before. Other threads mention that one culprit for this is opening the file in iCloud.com in the latest version of Numbers. However, there are other Numbers files I’ve opened recently via iCloud.com that still open just fine on my Mac. It only seems to be this one particular file (which happens to be password-protected), the contents of which haven’t changed much since the fall. It is not a shared doc and is not in a shared folder. Any suggestions on a workaround?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 10:20 PM

Solved. The spreadsheet was using a Quick Filter which apparently is a feature introduced after Catalina. Would have been nice if stuff like this was more readily identifiable since it prevents the spreadsheet opening on other older devices signed into iCloud.

Similar questions

3 replies

Error: “To open this spreadsheet, you’ll need the latest version of Numbers”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.