Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Won't Open Files

I have a M1 Max MacBook Pro running Monterey (12.3.1). Love the machine. But...

Quite frequently, like several times a day, finder stops being able to open files. I double click on a file and nothing happens. I right click on the file, get "open with" choose a program, nothing. Nothing helps.

If I force relaunch Finder, it begins to work again. Works for a while, but if I open a lot of files this way, it eventually fails. Every file can be opened by the appropriate program, either by "file / open" or by dragging and dropping. But double clicking in Finder does nothing.

Is this a known bug? Is someone aware of it? Any workarounds?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 2:36 PM

clwill00 wrote:

Quite frequently, like several times a day, finder stops being able to open files. I double click on a file and nothing happens. I right click on the file, get "open with" choose a program, nothing. Nothing helps.

If I force relaunch Finder, it begins to work again. Works for a while, but if I open a lot of files this way, it eventually fails. Every file can be opened by the appropriate program, either by "file / open" or by dragging and dropping. But double clicking in Finder does nothing.

C̶a̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶i̶f̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶u̶t̶e̶r̶ is running the latest stable release of Monterey macOS 12.3.1—

I see now yes in the OP

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2022 2:36 PM in response to clwill00

clwill00 wrote:

C̶a̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶i̶f̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶u̶t̶e̶r̶ is running the latest stable release of Monterey macOS 12.3.1—

I see now yes in the OP

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Apr 30, 2022 3:01 PM in response to leroydouglas

Second part first: I don't have any cleaners/optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus.

But overall, I don't know how to test this, either in safe mode or in another account. As I noted, it works after I relaunch finder. It's only after several minutes/hours of use that the issue arises. I can't _make_ it happen.

I guess I'll try a safe mode boot, but not sure what that will do.

May 1, 2022 11:39 AM in response to clwill00

This has now just happened again. But it is truly weird.

It happens with just _some_ files. For example, I have a dozen or more .docx files in a folder, and most open with a double click. But just one doesn't. Yet, that file is fine, opens in Word just fine.

If I duplicate that file, the "(whatever) copy.docx" file opens just fine from Finder. But the original doesn't. They have the same date and time, exact same contents. But the original doesn't open from Finder.

And... to put a cherry on top of this weirdness, if I open the original, make a single byte change and save it, the new copy opens just fine in Finder.

FWIW, I am using .docx as an example here. The same happens with .jpg or .png or ... Weird.

This is where Rod Serling leans around the corner and says "you've entered the twilight zone".

Finder Won't Open Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.