Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar on forthcoming 13-inch MacBook Pro

Hello!

Do you have any news on whether Apple plan to discontinue the controversial (aka much-maligned) Touch Bar on the forthcoming 13-inch MacBook Pro models - and, if so, when might this update/reversion become available?

I need to upgrade my trusty and much-loved 2009 model and would strongly prefer a model with manual keys rather than the adaptive feature. I'm aware this controversial element has been phased out of larger laptops, but it is specifically the 13-inch model I wish to purchase.

Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you are able to offer!

Posted on May 1, 2022 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 1:34 PM

No, No no.

There is No purchase now, upsize later at all -- and it has been that way since 2012. You MUST include everything you will ever want inside when you make your purchase. That is an additional reason for urging you to upsize from the start.

RE: Touch Bar prefernce:

I am not the person to ask about this preference. Our family has not bought a new MacBook since the 2015 [NO touchbar] model, because several of us have vision issues. The idea of a brightly colored flashing, changing bar in your peripheral vision is nauseating.

Since it merely provides a few shortcuts that are available through other methods, we have refused to buy a new MacBook of any description until the Touch Bar is GONE

We are now eying the 14-in and 16-in MacBook Pro with Pro processor. Apple can't build them fast enough to meet demand. And look at that, no TouchBar.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2022 1:34 PM in response to Gangotri

No, No no.

There is No purchase now, upsize later at all -- and it has been that way since 2012. You MUST include everything you will ever want inside when you make your purchase. That is an additional reason for urging you to upsize from the start.

RE: Touch Bar prefernce:

I am not the person to ask about this preference. Our family has not bought a new MacBook since the 2015 [NO touchbar] model, because several of us have vision issues. The idea of a brightly colored flashing, changing bar in your peripheral vision is nauseating.

Since it merely provides a few shortcuts that are available through other methods, we have refused to buy a new MacBook of any description until the Touch Bar is GONE

We are now eying the 14-in and 16-in MacBook Pro with Pro processor. Apple can't build them fast enough to meet demand. And look at that, no TouchBar.

May 2, 2022 7:57 AM in response to Gangotri

... as to rumors/news, speculation is prohibited here.

But the model you seek is already available, its name has been changed.

You are looking at the current MacBook Pro 13-in model. it features a very capable M1 system-on-a-chip, a cooling fan [that casual users report never comes on] and a Touch Bar.

If you look instead at the 13-in MacBook Air, it has the same system-on-a-chip, deletes the Touch Bar and fan, and saves you money as well. Available now.

But DO upsize the drive (and consider upsizing the RAM as well) from the [inadequate] defaults -- the defaults are for a student MacBook Air where No files are stored on the machine itself.

May 2, 2022 11:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

If I understand correctly, you are recommending purchasing the MacBook Air and then upsizing the drive/RAM (i.e. over and above the MacBook Pro, which I would prefer for various reasons, including the fan). Have you used a device with a Touch Bar for any length of time, and if so, do you find it a significant disadvantage or inconvenience after the initial inconvenience?

May 6, 2022 2:44 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Many thanks to everyone for your extremely helpful suggestions.

I've just spoken at length and in-depth with one of the Apple Support Team.

Grant's strategy may be the one I follow. Apparently, updates are often issued in the September/October window, which would make sense to capitalise on the Christmas peak in sales. The issue is whether I can keep my 2009 model limping on until a new iteration is released.

I am going to go to a store to try out the respective models in practice as getting to use the devices is likely to clarify things further. Apparently, some people actually *LIKE* the Touch Bar - shock horror!

I hadn't realised that buying an Air with an on-purchase RAM upgrade to 16 GB may well be a better option as a future-proofing strategy.

Thanks once again - especially to Grant, and to everyone for contributing - your suggestions and assistance have been really helpful and are much appreciated!

Touch Bar on forthcoming 13-inch MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.