Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina

Hello! I recently upgraded my Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro to Catalina in order to run the new version of Creative Cloud (specifically for Lightroom). It ran great for maybe a week, then it got exponentially sluggish within a few minutes. 98% of the time I am on my Mac, I was getting the spinning beachball. Even merely opening a folder in Finder took a couple minutes.

I tried rebooting, resetting SMC/NVRAM, deleting Launch Agents. Then, I found a mention of Onyx on a thread. I tried running that, which took 12+ hours to verify, rebuild, clean, etc. And after that, I rebooted and my computer worked great again. But low and behold a few days later, same issue: spinning beachball of death. I'm now on my third time running Onyx to get things back in order but this is not sustainable. I have work to do and can't be running a 12+ hour clean every few days.

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways I can mitigate this? Perhaps the fact that this is recurring issue after running Onyx might give some hints? I've read from others on this forum that Creative Cloud and Catalina have had compatibility issues, so I have a sneaking suspicion that CC is the root of the issue. I've prevented CC from launching on start-up, and have disabled syncing on CC, as well as iCloud syncs. But this hasn't seemed to help.

I also read on this forum that someone was having similar issues with Catalina/CC and wrote that "If I have to use Photoshop or Lightroom for some reason, will have to do a quick file cleanup afterwards - like cleaning up after your dog." It's not 100% clear what they mean by this, but perhaps there is a Cache folder that requires cleaning?

I should emphasize that other than this issue, my Mac was working great/very speedy. I recently upgraded to a SSD and 16gb of ram. If I can fix this issue I will likely ride out my 2012 Macbook for another 5+ years.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

Mike

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 1, 2022 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 12:03 PM

MikeyOffTheClock wrote:

Hello! I recently upgraded my Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro to Catalina in order to run the new version of Creative Cloud (specifically for Lightroom). It ran great for maybe a week, then it got exponentially sluggish

I recently upgraded to a SSD and 16gb of ram. If I can fix this issue I will likely ride out my 2012 Macbook for another 5+ years.

Mike

Did you install a new SATA cable at the same time? this is a known weak link when upgrading to SSD in 2012..

SATA replacement 13"MBP mid 2012

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/8211480/%20%2013%22%20MacBook%20Pro%20SATA

for you third party app—

if in doubt search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Adobe Creative Cloud support and compatibility with Mac OS X

Adobe Creative Cloud Learn & Support

Lightroom and macOS Catalina (10.15) - Adobe Help Center

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Learn & Support

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 12:03 PM in response to MikeyOffTheClock

MikeyOffTheClock wrote:

Hello! I recently upgraded my Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro to Catalina in order to run the new version of Creative Cloud (specifically for Lightroom). It ran great for maybe a week, then it got exponentially sluggish

I recently upgraded to a SSD and 16gb of ram. If I can fix this issue I will likely ride out my 2012 Macbook for another 5+ years.

Mike

Did you install a new SATA cable at the same time? this is a known weak link when upgrading to SSD in 2012..

SATA replacement 13"MBP mid 2012

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/8211480/%20%2013%22%20MacBook%20Pro%20SATA

for you third party app—

if in doubt search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Adobe Creative Cloud support and compatibility with Mac OS X

Adobe Creative Cloud Learn & Support

Lightroom and macOS Catalina (10.15) - Adobe Help Center

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Learn & Support

May 1, 2022 1:03 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hey Leroy, thanks so much for this insight. I didn’t replace the SATA chord at the time of the SSD replacement. However, I did replace it fairly recently after getting the flashing “?” Folder on start-up.

By the way, an update: I just ran Onyx exclusively for “cleaning” which included “cleaning kernel_tasks” as well as cleaning “applications/internet/log messages and reports” and now it is running perfect again. This only took 20 mins as opposed to 12+ hours but still not something I want to do regularly.

I also ran “kextstat” in the Terminal and found a paragon software file to do with a dated Facebook launch agent. So I deleted that. Now waiting to see how long it will be until the beach all returns (if it does, fingers crossed!)

May 20, 2022 11:35 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy, you were absolutely right. It was the SATA cable that was causing the issues after all. Thank you so much.

I didn't suspect it was the culprit at first given that the first time I had to replace that chord, the problem was completely different (i.e., the flashing folder with question mark on start-up). After looking into your response, I found a bunch of other forums with people facing the same issue and solution. I ordered a new one for $15 and my 2012 MacBook is as good as ever.

Next time my computer suddenly gets really slow I will know what to do... Thanks again!

Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.