Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message on screen starting diagnostics: 1007D

After starting Mac diagnostics i get an error code .

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 1, 2022 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 5:10 AM

read_baron wrote:

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. I ran the DriveDx and everything is OK . There was one item that produced a Warning : Load Cycle Count of 985,041. Not sure what the spec is for this drive. In any case I ordered a large USB drive to replace my 1Tb Time Machine drive, just in case. Or maybe Time Machine itself running out room?

The drive can still technically be used with the Load Cycle Count warning at least in theory. However, in my own personal experience with our organization's thousands of drives, whenever the Load Cycle Count exceeds the manufacturer's expectations the drives will begin to experience performance issues and sometimes odd behaviors. The Load Cycle Count tends to increase a lot with macOS since the drive is put to sleep and woken up way too much in macOS which causes excessive parking of the drive heads which is what reads the data from the drive's platters.

A hard drive can make intermittent "chirping" sounds with some failures or the "chirping" can be more frequent (15 - 30 seconds). It is really hard to say. To eliminate a software cause, just mute the sound to see if you still hear the "beeps".

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 5:10 AM in response to read_baron

read_baron wrote:

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. I ran the DriveDx and everything is OK . There was one item that produced a Warning : Load Cycle Count of 985,041. Not sure what the spec is for this drive. In any case I ordered a large USB drive to replace my 1Tb Time Machine drive, just in case. Or maybe Time Machine itself running out room?

The drive can still technically be used with the Load Cycle Count warning at least in theory. However, in my own personal experience with our organization's thousands of drives, whenever the Load Cycle Count exceeds the manufacturer's expectations the drives will begin to experience performance issues and sometimes odd behaviors. The Load Cycle Count tends to increase a lot with macOS since the drive is put to sleep and woken up way too much in macOS which causes excessive parking of the drive heads which is what reads the data from the drive's platters.

A hard drive can make intermittent "chirping" sounds with some failures or the "chirping" can be more frequent (15 - 30 seconds). It is really hard to say. To eliminate a software cause, just mute the sound to see if you still hear the "beeps".

May 2, 2022 9:07 PM in response to read_baron

read_baron wrote:

Mac mini (Late 2014), MacOS 12.3.1.

I've been experiencing mysterious dings at irregular times, about every 10 minutes average. They were all while the MAC was asleep, so far never while I am working on it. I read somewhere that if anything dings it could be an indication of some hardware problem, so I decided to run diags.

If you hear beeps in a repeating pattern, then it usually indicates a memory problem, but the beeping usually continues until the Mac is powered off. On a 2014 Mini, the memory is soldered to the Logic Board which means the Logic Board would need to be replaced.

If your Mini uses an internal hard drive, then perhaps the hard drive is failing. Sometimes a bad hard drive will make chirping noises which can be intermittent at first, but will most likely get worse. Make sure to have a good backup while you can still access your data.

These are the two most likely reasons for beeps. I suspect a failing hard drive.

This led to discovering some minor issue with the mesh router, which was fixed today. However I still cannot run diags because it still goes to the screen with the globe turning and a box asking for my network SSID and password.

If it accepts the password, then the issue is due to something network related. Either with the computer, the local network (switch, router, modem), or perhaps with the ISP, or the Internet. It doesn't take much to interfere with booting the online diagnostics or entering Internet Recovery Mode. At least using an Ethernet cable eliminates the myriad possible WiFi issues. You can try putting the Mac into the DMZ to see if it helps even on WiFi.

Just because your computer has no problem accessing the Internet while booted normally does not mean there is not a network issue here. The way a Mac boots into Internet Recovery Mode and the online Apple Diagnostics is very particular about the network conditions. Unfortunately Apple does not provide any specific network information about what is required for success when booting these modes, nor does Apple document these mysterious error codes. Apple loves their secrets. The problem may be with the ISP or the general Internet where the ISP's network management is somehow interfering with the process or maybe latency to access Apple's servers is too much. I've battled this myself so I know how frustrating it can be.

There should be a way to bypass the network test.

It is not a network test. The Apple Diagnostics are now online and leverage the Internet Recovery Mode framework to boot the Mac with the online diagnostics.

You can try running Memtest86 to check the memory. If you use the older Memtest86 v7.5, then you can configure it to run more than four test loops in order to run the memory test for hours or possibly even a day or two depending on the amount of memory being tested. A passing test does not mean anything. Tests are really only useful when they show a possible problem. Use the downloaded Memtest86 .iso or .img file as a source for Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux) in order to create a bootable Memtest86 USB stick. Option Boot the Memtest86 USB stick and select the orange icon labeled "EFI".

Personally, my money is on a failing hard drive. You can try running DriveDx to see if there are any "Warning" or "Failing" notices which indicate a worn out drive or a failing drive respectively. Unfortunately, a beeping hard drive may not show any errors at first. This is in regards to a hard drive as opposed to an SSD.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer an all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Edit:

Please read my reply to Gena_D. (There is no network issue and there must be some bug that causes the software to reject my reply with SSID/Password.)

If the SSID & password are not being accepted (meaning you are being asked for it again), then either you have an issue with the router, or maybe you have an issue with the keyboard which is not typing the password correctly, or maybe the Mini's issue is causing the problem.

If, however, the SSID & password are being accepted, but nothing else happens, then most likely it is some sort of network issue (or interference), or perhaps it is a hardware issue with the Mini.

May 2, 2022 10:52 AM in response to read_baron

Hello, read_baron.

In order for us to best assist you with this diagnostic result, we have a few additional questions. Which specific Mac mini are you using? What is happening with it that caused you to run diagnostics in the first place? Is it exhibiting some unusual behaviors?

Please let us know more and we'd be happy to investigate. Cheers!

May 2, 2022 11:11 AM in response to read_baron

The error indicates some sort of network issue. It is usually best to try booting the diagnostics using an Ethernet cable connected directly to the router for a faster more reliable connection and to bypass any hard to troubleshoot WiFi issues. If you want to try to access it over WiFi, then try power cycling your router and trying again after waiting at least five minutes for the router to finish booting.

May 2, 2022 5:51 PM in response to Gena_D

Mac mini (Late 2014), MacOS 12.3.1.

I've been experiencing mysterious dings at irregular times, about every 10 minutes average. They were all while the MAC was asleep, so far never while I am working on it. I read somewhere that if anything dings it could be an indication of some hardware problem, so I decided to run diags. This led to discovering some minor issue with the mesh router, which was fixed today. However I still cannot run diags because it still goes to the screen with the globe turning and a box asking for my network SSID and password. I cannot move my equipment closer to the router to run an ethernet cable, at least, not yet. There should be a way to bypass the network test.

May 5, 2022 12:42 PM in response to HWTech

Another possibility is that I had too many apps open at the time and the system is telling me that it cannot handle them. Would it send a beep since the system is "asleep" and the displays or off? I since restarted the system cleanly and they have not come back.

There is another possibility, that the beeps came from an app. My money is on an anomaly that's been mentioned in these pages:

Epson PowerENGAGE, a pesky pop-up from Epson software asking me to register the printer. I could not find the app but I uninstalled one of the Epson apps that sounded like it might be the culprit. Again, the idea is that the beep comes from the pop-up which is launched and the displays are off so it beeps.

Does anything here sound like a possibility?

Thanks again!

Error message on screen starting diagnostics: 1007D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.