Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speed difference by putting the external SSD (connected to TB2) to Internal ?

My Mac is late 2014 27" with Thunderbolt 2

Now, a WD SSD is connect to TB2 via AKiTiO Thunder SATA Go.

I wonder if it will be even faster if I put the WD SSD into the iMac (by replacing the HDD part of the fusion drive).

I read some articles and said such change won't bring great difference, true in the case of my device?

*I have experience in opening the Mac so it would not be a problem to me -- if the difference in speed is significant.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 1, 2022 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 9:10 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Community.

Assuming the Thunderbolt connection is in good working order, it would not be any faster to install the SSD internally. Thunderbolt is already rated faster than the internal SATA connection. Plus, iMac was never designed to repaired or upgraded by the end-user, and these modifications have great risk of damage or permanent failure to the iMac. 

Jack

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 9:10 PM in response to gyrodrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community.

Assuming the Thunderbolt connection is in good working order, it would not be any faster to install the SSD internally. Thunderbolt is already rated faster than the internal SATA connection. Plus, iMac was never designed to repaired or upgraded by the end-user, and these modifications have great risk of damage or permanent failure to the iMac. 

Jack

May 2, 2022 7:26 AM in response to gyrodrop

I agree w Jack-19.

As you indicate you have read, there would be nothing to gain by installing the SSD internally to your iMac. That's true.

And, as you probably already know, the risk of damaging some other internal component is high should you open up the computer.

Stick with using the SSD externally.

Also, if you are still booting the computer from the internal drive, I suggest you make that external SSD your startup drive. That would def make a difference in performance.

May 3, 2022 9:19 AM in response to gyrodrop

you can look up details specs of Mac models here, so that you can actually see what are the speed ratings of the various ports and internal interfaces,

https://everymac.com

for example, in the 2014 iMacs the internal SATA6 (6Gbit/s) is no match for the external port Thunderbolt2 (20Gbit/s) speed.

There were older Macs before Thunderbolt, that the external ports were limited to USB2 and FW800 however, like way back in 2010, where the internal SATA3 would have been faster, so that is a good question.

Speed difference by putting the external SSD (connected to TB2) to Internal ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.