Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to filter out the file extensions in lower case?

I have file extensions in both uppercase and lowercase letters.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 2, 2022 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 6:49 AM

The macOS operating system is installed as a case-insensitive filesystem. That means that only one filename.ext may exist in a given namespace. You can have either cat.txt or cat.TXT, but not both in the same folder location. If you attempt to save cat.txt to cat.TXT, you will get the following warning from the Finder:

If I am in the Terminal and type the following where only cat.TXT exists:

ls cat.txt

the result will be shown in all lowercase. If I had typed that same string with the upper-case extension, that would have been shown.

The Finder can only show the exact filename case and does not offer you the ability to specify upper or lower-case extension views.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2022 6:49 AM in response to Ivon

The macOS operating system is installed as a case-insensitive filesystem. That means that only one filename.ext may exist in a given namespace. You can have either cat.txt or cat.TXT, but not both in the same folder location. If you attempt to save cat.txt to cat.TXT, you will get the following warning from the Finder:

If I am in the Terminal and type the following where only cat.TXT exists:

ls cat.txt

the result will be shown in all lowercase. If I had typed that same string with the upper-case extension, that would have been shown.

The Finder can only show the exact filename case and does not offer you the ability to specify upper or lower-case extension views.

May 2, 2022 5:17 AM in response to Ivon

Ivon wrote:

I have file extensions in both uppercase and lowercase letters.

Different apps, different interactions can generate extensions differently....

Located where...?

Why try to and micro-manage file extensions?

Did you manage to format your drive to be case-sensitive(?) This I would not recommend, unless there is some compelling reason—otherwise you create your own headaches.

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple ...

Show or hide filename extensions on Mac - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.