Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant Restarts

I replaced my 6-year-old iMac 27" with a new one in late February 2022. I use my computer for Final Cut Pro, Lightroom, and Photoshop mostly. There are a few other programs but they do not use much power from the computer.

this computer has been plagued with restarts from the day I received it: it doesn't matter what I am using it for; it crashes when I use Final Cut, it crashes when it's sleeping, it crashes when I'm looking at email. It even crashed before I installed any programs.

I have re-installed OS 12-3-1 three different times, the Apple store has installed it once. They also said they could not find a problem. Yet, the problem continues.

Attached is the Etresoft Report

This is what I have:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9

Memory 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 2, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 7:33 AM

That means you likely did not re-format the HD when you initially bought it. Most EHD's come pre-formatted to use with MS Windows. You should have erased and formatted the External Hard Disk to work with your Mac.

6 replies

May 2, 2022 10:44 PM in response to 8menprod

My guess is it may be an issue with one of the many external drives or other peripherals connected to the iMac that is causing your issue. I would start by shutting down the computer and physically unplugging all wires peripherals (External Hard Disks, printers, cameras, scanners, etc... and any hubs that plugged into the Mac) and the restarting and testing for a couple of days. Then slowly introduced each peripheral 1 by 1 giving each at least 24 hours before introducing the next until your machine crashes. Next remove the last peripheral introduced again and test once more again, if the machine then is stable then you have found your culprit.

I also noticed you are using Paragon NTFS, I am assuming this is to share an External Hard Disk with a MS Windows machine, are you aware the Paragon NTFS is a hack?

May 3, 2022 9:47 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Well, it's not the external drives and there are no other devices connected... and it crashed! While I was writing this it crashed again.

There has got to be a hardware problem considering I, and Apple, have formatted the internal drive four times and this continues.

I'd take it back into the Apple store now but I have some image and video deadlines this week.

Constant Restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.