Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display issues with new Macbook Pro M1

Hi everyone,

I'm a little frustrated as my new very expensive setup continues to have monitor issues. I am using:

MBP M1 Max 64GB connected to:

1. LG HDR 4K display via usb-C dongle to HDMI
  2. HP 32 FHD display directly via HDMI port on MBP

Things work mostly, the screens are recognised and I can set up the extended desktop fine (see picture attached). Then all of a sudden and without provocation at random times of usage (NOT when I put the mac to sleep), the HP 32f starts displaying white static. The mac still sees it as connected, and if I unplug the HDMI and plug it back in, it either goes back to the static or the display says no input detected, though the Mac still thinks it's connected. This also means that all the stuff I had on the HP monitor is still off-screen and I have to unplug it to see it again. The only things that fixes this is rebooting the Mac. Aside from being only a temporary fix, it also frequently screws with the extended display set up and I have to re set all the resolutions and desktop arrangements from scratch.

Needless to say this is super annoying, I work with massive datasets and really need the multiple screens to work efficiently. This is the reason I spent more money on the M1 Max, because one of its features was its supposed great ability to handle multiple high res displays. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks a lot

Francesco

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 3, 2022 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 9:55 AM

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

--------

DisplayPort cables have more bandwidth.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2022 9:55 AM in response to dfwefdv

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

--------

DisplayPort cables have more bandwidth.

External display issues with new Macbook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.