Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory Reset - Old iMac

Hi There!

I have an old iMac that I'm trying to sell. In order to do that, I want to first perform a Factory Reset to ensure that my Apple ID is not associated with the computer anymore and to ensure it's completely wiped and to give the new owner a "fresh out of the box" experience. Everywhere on the internet says to turn off the computer, hold down Command + R, and then restart the computer while holding down Command + R. I've seen other things like Command + Option + R, or Command + Option + R + P... None of which seem to work for me. The iMac just starts up like normal.

It's an old iMac running Mac OS X - version 10.6.8. I don't believe this mac can update past this operating system.

Any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 3, 2022 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 7:58 AM

Hello, Katmarie.

That old iMac probably shipped with a set of two Mac OS X reinstall DVDs. Use of those will be required to restore the computer to factory new configuration. Optionally, you might be able to use an authentic retail version of OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 to restore it, but those are harder to find every day.

Your iMac, if it has been running 10.6.8, does not have a restore partition, so those Command+R restart keystrokes won't work. The restore partition was introduced with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Friendly advice from a long time Mac user... don't drop this long outdated Mac on an unsuspecting new user. Their experience will be nothing short of less than stellar and they probably won't thank you for it. The machine is one startup cycle from some sort of major malfunction and the software package it is capable of running is obsolete and insecure. Cut it loose and let it be recycled.

Good luck and have a great day. 🙂

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 7:58 AM in response to Katmarie

Hello, Katmarie.

That old iMac probably shipped with a set of two Mac OS X reinstall DVDs. Use of those will be required to restore the computer to factory new configuration. Optionally, you might be able to use an authentic retail version of OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 to restore it, but those are harder to find every day.

Your iMac, if it has been running 10.6.8, does not have a restore partition, so those Command+R restart keystrokes won't work. The restore partition was introduced with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Friendly advice from a long time Mac user... don't drop this long outdated Mac on an unsuspecting new user. Their experience will be nothing short of less than stellar and they probably won't thank you for it. The machine is one startup cycle from some sort of major malfunction and the software package it is capable of running is obsolete and insecure. Cut it loose and let it be recycled.

Good luck and have a great day. 🙂

Factory Reset - Old iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.