Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup drive is full

time machine won't backup because it says the backup drive is full. What do I do?

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 3, 2022 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 7:13 PM

Plangel66 Said:

"time machine backup drive is full: Don't really have another drive but I do have a Backblaze cloud backup and a SuperDuper backup on another drive. Is there a way to eliminate some of the older T M backups to make room?"

-------

Deleting a TMB:

Sure, you can erase a TMB. But, are you certain you would want to? Doing so, you would not be able to recover data from it. See this link: If the Time Machine Backup Disk for your Mac is Full - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2022 7:13 PM in response to jackostrato

Plangel66 Said:

"time machine backup drive is full: Don't really have another drive but I do have a Backblaze cloud backup and a SuperDuper backup on another drive. Is there a way to eliminate some of the older T M backups to make room?"

-------

Deleting a TMB:

Sure, you can erase a TMB. But, are you certain you would want to? Doing so, you would not be able to recover data from it. See this link: If the Time Machine Backup Disk for your Mac is Full - Apple Support

May 3, 2022 6:29 PM in response to jackostrato

Plangel66 Said:

"time machine backup drive is full: time machine won't backup because it says the backup drive is full. What do I do?"

-------

Troubleshooting TMB Drives:

I. Use Disk Utility:

View this device's storage in Disk Utility.

1. Open: Applications folder
  2. Click: Utilities
  3. Open: Disk Utility
  4. Select: [the hard drive]
  5. Verify: The Results

II. If Full:

Use another drive to avoid deleting backups.

time machine backup drive is full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.