Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard keys in "wrong" place?

Hi,

My work gave me a new MacBook Pro to use. It's a UK variant, I think, but the keys are not the same as on my other UK laptops. Most notably, it is the @ and " keys. There's a £ symbol on the 3 key, so it is surely a UK keyboard.

It's annoying, but I guess it just takes some time to get used to - though I do switch between computers, so it might be more difficult than is ideal.

Anyway, now I've connected my Logitech keyboard that I've been using for years, but I can't find the correct layout for that keyboard in the OSX keyboard preferences. I can switch the @ and " keys to where they're supposed to be, but then the \| key and ¬` keys are switched.

How can I resolve my keyboard woes?

Max.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 4, 2022 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 5:39 AM

The correct Apple layout is normally British PC. Is that what you have active? This should have \| on the key next to Z. If instead it is on the key under ESC, it means your keyboard type is not recognized correctly.

Specify a keyboard type on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

May 4, 2022 6:09 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi,

Forgive me, but I've not used an Apple computer since my TiBook...

On the top right, it has a 'union flag' and if I click on it, it lists both 'British' and 'British PC', with the latter ticked, so I think that is as you say it should be.

As such, you suggest I should attempt to change the 'keyboard type'. However, the linked instructions do not correspond to the settings dialog I am presented with. There is no 'Change Keyboard Type' in the dialog that I can see. The only buttons are '5 secs' for a backlight, 'Change Input Source', 'Modifier Keys...' and 'Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard' - along with a couple of sliders and a checkbox. There are several 'pages' to the Keyboard dialog too, but I don't see any 'Change Keyboard Type' on any of them.

Any clues?

May 4, 2022 6:59 AM in response to NoctuaAthene

Sorry, but no. I already set it to 'British - PC'. There's no 'US' anything there.

Top left key, which has '`', '¬' and some odd pipe-like symbol (but with a gap in it), types as '\' and '|'.

The key to the right of the left shift key is labelled '\' and '|' but types '`' and '¬' (that's how I typed them at the beginning of this sentence).

May 4, 2022 9:38 AM in response to maxwaterman

Thanks everyone. I don't know what changed, but I suddenly got the new keyboard dialog pop up again, and once I'd pressed the '\' key just to the right of the left shift key, it just worked...not sure what went wrong the first time :)

`1234567890-=

qwertyuiop[]

asdfghjkl;'#

\zxcvbnm,./

with shift:

¬!"£$%^&*()_+

QWERTYUIOP{}

ASDFGHJKL:@~

|ZXCVBNM<>?

Perfect :)

keyboard keys in "wrong" place?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.