Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Monteray changed the way Time Machine backups are stored?

So I have a 5TB drive for Time Machine backups on different Macs. When I ask Time Machine to make a backup, instead of backing up directly to that 5TB drive, it creates a new volume on that 5TB drive and backs up to that instead. So now I have two Time Machine volumes on my desktop.

It never used to work that way; it always used to create a backup.backupd folder on the Time Machine drive and then created a separate folder for each Mac being backed up inside that backup.backupd folder.

What now happens seems to be a backward step as backups are no longer directly on that Time Machine drive.

Furthermore, I now have to mount both volumes on the desktop before Time Machine will backup.

Is this a new 'feature' (or bug) in Monterey?

Posted on May 4, 2022 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 1:53 PM

Big Sur and Monterey format the drive as APFS. You can continue an HFS+ backup drive, but you cannot create a new one.

It doesn't create a backups.backupd folder as the Volume can only be used for a single Mac's backup. It will create a folder for each backup named with a timestamp.

Similar questions

5 replies

May 4, 2022 1:16 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

Starting with Big Sur, Time Machine files are different if /when you use an APFS formatted disk.

[Ever so slightly off topic]:

Something tells me I should revert to formatting Time Machine drives as Mac OS Extended instead of APFS so that it can continue to backup Mac OS Extended or APFS formatted drives.

Am I right?

Is there any benefit to formatting a Time Machine drive as APFS?

Has Monteray changed the way Time Machine backups are stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.