Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unstable wifi connection in a new iMac

Hi,

I bought a new iMac in 2 months ago. From the beginning, a wifi connection is very unstable. Every 5-15 min, the computer is looking for wifi connection. While this, I can't use internet and am kicked out from Zoom meeting. This is frustrating as the computer is new. Wifi itself in my office is stable as other MacBook Pro and old iMac provide very stable wifi connection. First, I contacted Apple support, but they could not resolve this issue and recommended me to go to an Apple store. I went to Menlo Park Apple store in NJ, which tested my iMac and said that everything is fine. They erased HD and reinstalled. But the unstable wifi situation continues. I called to Apple store again and went the Apple store Menlo Park again, but the manager said that they can't do anything for this issue as they tested my iMac Before. Now I don't know how to resolve this issue by myself. The store said that buying a new computer is one way to resolve this issue.....why I have to buy one more new iMac? Could anyone in this community helps me resolve this problem? Thank you for your help.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 4, 2022 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 4:31 PM

The issue may not be with your Mac at all or Mac OS. However to eliminate the Mac and Mac OS please read and execute the following:

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

If that does not work, other basics to try are restart the modem and router. Also, if you are dropping WiFi, that may be a DNS issue from the ISP. That is simple to correct, just change the DNS settings per Change DNS settings in Network preferences on Mac - Apple Support. I prefer to use the Google DNS settings which are:

Google Public DNS IP addresses

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 4:31 PM in response to tetsuya209

The issue may not be with your Mac at all or Mac OS. However to eliminate the Mac and Mac OS please read and execute the following:

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

If that does not work, other basics to try are restart the modem and router. Also, if you are dropping WiFi, that may be a DNS issue from the ISP. That is simple to correct, just change the DNS settings per Change DNS settings in Network preferences on Mac - Apple Support. I prefer to use the Google DNS settings which are:

Google Public DNS IP addresses

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

An unstable wifi connection in a new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.