Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fault in sleep mode

econd, sometimes the computer has essentially crashed. No key will wake the system and tapping the power button does nothing. Instead, I have to hold the power button for like 10 seconds in order to force the system to truly shut down. Then a single tap of the power will boot the system. This has become very annoying, as it basically happens every day, particularly when I first go to the computer in the morning. Nothing posted in the other threads seems to work. I have reset the SMC. And no fix. I have also tried to reset the PRAM, but the instructions online don't seem to work for an iMac Pro. So I'm not sure whether I've actually reset the PRAM. I have also altered the settings under Energy Saver. Toggling the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" does not fix the problem. Toggling "Enable Power Nap" on or off does not fix the problem. I've constantly had "Wake for network access" toggled. The only thing that prevents this from happening is forcing the computer to never sleep, by selecting "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically," which of course is no solution at all. I'm running a pretty vanilla system. I have Adobe CC suite installed, dropbox installed, and I used carbon copy cloner to back up my SSD once a day. OS is the latest (10.13.6). I do have an external hard drive connected (g-drive), but my recollection is that I had the no-wake problem even when the drive was not connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully it's just a software bug somewhere. I'd hate to have to lug this thing back to Apple.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2022 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 9:38 AM

Hello, Timpee1361.

Sorry that you're having this problem with your Mac.

It sounds like something may be confusing the OS.

Since rebooting the Mac doesn't seem to have solved the problme, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

Please see > How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Timpee1361

Hello, Timpee1361.

Sorry that you're having this problem with your Mac.

It sounds like something may be confusing the OS.

Since rebooting the Mac doesn't seem to have solved the problme, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

Please see > How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

May 5, 2022 10:38 AM in response to Timpee1361

Excellent advice so far.

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Fault in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.