Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 MacBook Pro 16" crashing every time it wakes from sleep

I've searched the Community and it seems this issue has been around since this model came out. I didn't see a consensus on cause and nothing on resolution.

So my MBP started crashing a few months ago. Took it to the local Apple Store and it came back with no issues. They suggested wiping the drive and starting from a fresh OS install to rule out any corruption from an update. I did and restored from a Time Machine backup. Crashing reappeared and seem to get worse. Sent it in this time as I figure different eyeballs may see something different. Again came back fine, no repairs needed. They had wiped the drive and returned it with Big Sur installed. Proceeded to update to the latest version of Monterey. This time, I just migrated my files instead of restoring a full Time Machine backup. Still crashing. Spoke with another rep, he suggested not using Time Machine and migrating directly. Without a secondary machine, this is a time-consuming and complicated step to rule out a corrupted Time Machine backup. Mind you...this all started before using any Time Machine backups! I feel like it's a hardware issue and they're dragging their feet.

Here's a sample of the crash logs:

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f98bea791): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down.

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff801a4d4502): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f9ebea791): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down.

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f9c1ea791): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80148d4502): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

Panic(CPU 6, time 7493797518786): NMIPI for unresponsive processor: TLB flush timeout, TLB state:0x0

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f9bd7b749): GPU Panic: [3:0:0] GPU Not Found! PCI Config Access Fails!!!

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff801ccc4e2c): Wake transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

16" 2019 MBP Pro, 2.4GHz i9, 32GB, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, 2TB SSD

Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 5, 2022 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 8:07 AM

Honu_in_NC wrote:

I've searched the Community and it seems this issue has been around since this model came out. I didn't see a consensus on cause and nothing on resolution.

So my MBP started crashing a few months ago. Took it to the local Apple Store and it came back with no issues. They suggested wiping the drive and starting from a fresh OS install to rule out any corruption from an update. I did and restored from a Time Machine backup. Crashing reappeared and seem to get worse. Sent it in this time as I figure different eyeballs may see something different. Again came back fine, no repairs needed. They had wiped the drive and returned it with Big Sur installed. Proceeded to update to the latest version of Monterey. This time, I just migrated my files instead of restoring a full Time Machine backup. Still crashing. Spoke with another rep, he suggested not using Time Machine and migrating directly. Without a secondary machine, this is a time-consuming and complicated step to rule out a corrupted Time Machine backup. Mind you...this all started before using any Time Machine backups! I feel like it's a hardware issue and they're dragging their feet.

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f98bea791): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down.
panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff801a4d4502): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f9ebea791): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down.
panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f9c1ea791): GPU Panic: [3:0:0][PPLIB] Failed Power Play Resume. Shutting back down.
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80148d4502): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.
Panic(CPU 6, time 7493797518786): NMIPI for unresponsive processor: TLB flush timeout, TLB state:0x0
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f9bd7b749): GPU Panic: [3:0:0] GPU Not Found! PCI Config Access Fails!!!
panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff801ccc4e2c): Wake transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

if you are still at a loss—

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 8:07 AM in response to Honu_in_NC

Honu_in_NC wrote:

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

if you are still at a loss—

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

2019 MacBook Pro 16" crashing every time it wakes from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.