Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use 87W USB-C power adapter with my MacBook Air (M1, 2020)?

I bought a new MacBook Air (M1, 2020) recently. By default MacBook Air comes with 30W USB-C power adapter. I have other MacBook pro (15 and 13 inch) which has 87W USB-C and 61W USB-C power adapter. Can I use 87W USB-C or 61W USB-C power adapter with my new MacBook Air. Is it safe to use higher wattage power adapter with my MacBook air? Also, is it OK to use 30W USB-C power adapter with my MacBook Pro (15 and 13 inch)?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 5, 2022 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 4:39 AM

If the cables match the ports, yes. Match by physical design, not match by force.

Too much wattage will just be unused.

Too little will likely cause the charger and cable to heat up some as the underpowered unit tries unsuccessfully to meet the Mac's demand.

1 reply

Can I use 87W USB-C power adapter with my MacBook Air (M1, 2020)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.