Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I upgrade to Monterey 10-12 on Mac Book Pro 13" that now has El Capitan from 2011

can I upgrade to Monterey 10-12 on Mac Book Pro 13" that now has El Capitan from 2011

Posted on May 5, 2022 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 12:05 AM

The age of your computer will tell if you can upgrade to Monterey. If your mac is from 2011, its is to old and it cannot be updated past High Sierra.

I reccomend doing the upgrade to High Sierra tho, it is a few years newer than El Capitan

2 replies

May 7, 2022 8:09 AM in response to bronzejude

Some hobbyists have figured a way around the restrictions and developed "cheats" to allow newer macOS to be installed on older Macs. Hear me out, because I am NOT suggesting you attempt that.

The punchline is that once they were able to see how BADLY the new versions ran on the older Hardware, they regretted installing it, and did not keep it running. It was just too slow even for 'fun' use. They called it "unusable."

Apple precludes your installing newer MacOS on older hardware mainly because the graphics capabilities of the older Hardware are inadequate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.