Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag position sometimes 2-300 meters wrong - why can it be explained ?

I leave an AirTag on board of a sailing yacht which is moored in a safe port in Italy and I check her position any few days, from Home 400 Km away. How can the position be reported sometimes 2-300 m wrong even on land and few hours later again at the correct spot. It happened 2 times in 5 months.

I am just wondering to understand the technical reason why this can happen. I own 4 Tags, since 4 months, all well charged and perfect working. Same error happens checking with iPhone SE iPad Imac and MacBook pro. Thanks for your opinion.

Posted on May 6, 2022 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 2:08 AM

The AirTag needs to be able to connect to a network or other Apple device to show its position. The more devices or networks connect to the AirTag, the more precise is the position shown on the map. If the object is not moving, the position will be in that mentioned range of up to 300m on your map.

Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

Find your keys, wallet, and more with AirTag - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 2:08 AM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

The AirTag needs to be able to connect to a network or other Apple device to show its position. The more devices or networks connect to the AirTag, the more precise is the position shown on the map. If the object is not moving, the position will be in that mentioned range of up to 300m on your map.

Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

Find your keys, wallet, and more with AirTag - Apple Support

AirTag position sometimes 2-300 meters wrong - why can it be explained ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.