Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent my child from using their iPhone hotspot?

I would like to prevent my child from evading my parental control settings by using their hotspot to link another device to the internet. I found a similar question answered here two years ago, but when I implemented the suggestion (don't allow cellular data changes in content & privacy restrictions), I found that I was still able to easily activate the hotspot just by switching it back on in settings. I tested that it was indeed active by linking my own computer to the hotspot. Is there a different workaround for this issue?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on May 6, 2022 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 5:50 PM

Thank you, I will call the carrier and ask for help. I would like to note that this is the second time I’ve come to this forum seeking help with parental controls for an older child who has a job and still needs boundaries (if it’s not obvious). Both times I’ve gotten responses from people who have asked personal questions and talked in such a way that insinuated I’m an overbearing parent or just plain stupid. Maybe this wasn’t your intention, but it stings. I needed help and asked for help. Thankfully someone was kind enough to help—without the added judgment. I won’t be back here.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 5:50 PM in response to deggie

Thank you, I will call the carrier and ask for help. I would like to note that this is the second time I’ve come to this forum seeking help with parental controls for an older child who has a job and still needs boundaries (if it’s not obvious). Both times I’ve gotten responses from people who have asked personal questions and talked in such a way that insinuated I’m an overbearing parent or just plain stupid. Maybe this wasn’t your intention, but it stings. I needed help and asked for help. Thankfully someone was kind enough to help—without the added judgment. I won’t be back here.

May 6, 2022 5:03 PM in response to MJ84037

So what you are telling me they purchased a MiFi from WalMart and activated service on it and they are paying the bill. How old is your child or did they perhaps get an older person to do this for them? If it is not your account you will not be able to have the cellular carrier do anything with that line.

May 6, 2022 6:58 PM in response to MJ84037

I didn’t insinuate anything. I asked because in most states you have to be 18 to sign a cellular service contract which is why I mentioned the might know someone older who set up their name and the account was in someone else’s name. If your child was 16 or 17 they couldn’t do it.

No other intention was meant, just the contract age.

How do I prevent my child from using their iPhone hotspot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.