Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro on a different computer

I know I could use my Apple ID to transfer apps I bought, to a different Mac, but my question is:

I bought a used MacBook Air that came with Logic Pro already installed; I’d like to transfer it to the iMac I use for recording as the Air can’t handle the demands of Logic; as I bought it from one of the auction sites the seller has no idea about license for the Logic; how would I install it on the iMac, is that possible to do in this case?

Thank you for any help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on May 8, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2022 9:25 AM

Hi there, strictly speaking, buying a used MacBook Air does not entitle you to ownership of Logic license even if the software is already installed and ready to use. You may still use this copy of Logic, BUT this could potentially open a can of worms from the legal point of view. Especially if you are making money from that or produce music that sells. If it doesn’t generate revenue, then fine, I guess, who cares, right? Still, I think the simplest way to solve your issue is to buy the app using your unique Apple ID. Then you could install it on as many Macs as is allowed under terms of the license agreement (i.e. two machines you own, at any given time, if I’m not mistaken).

Haven’t heard of “adopting” the app, as indicated in posts above. Perhaps, this is a procedure for apps pre-installed on new Macs which are sold bundled with software as a marketing gimmick / hidden discount (i.e. buy the hardware and get software for free). But if that’s the case, you’d have to call Apple’s support line to find out whether that particular MacBook Air had been sold together with software. And if it wasn’t sold like that, it’s unlikely you could “adopt” the app, because the license would belong to Air’s previous owner. Apple doesn’t allow for the transfer of its app licenses, as someone had pointed out in another thread here.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2022 9:25 AM in response to jazzbassist

Hi there, strictly speaking, buying a used MacBook Air does not entitle you to ownership of Logic license even if the software is already installed and ready to use. You may still use this copy of Logic, BUT this could potentially open a can of worms from the legal point of view. Especially if you are making money from that or produce music that sells. If it doesn’t generate revenue, then fine, I guess, who cares, right? Still, I think the simplest way to solve your issue is to buy the app using your unique Apple ID. Then you could install it on as many Macs as is allowed under terms of the license agreement (i.e. two machines you own, at any given time, if I’m not mistaken).

Haven’t heard of “adopting” the app, as indicated in posts above. Perhaps, this is a procedure for apps pre-installed on new Macs which are sold bundled with software as a marketing gimmick / hidden discount (i.e. buy the hardware and get software for free). But if that’s the case, you’d have to call Apple’s support line to find out whether that particular MacBook Air had been sold together with software. And if it wasn’t sold like that, it’s unlikely you could “adopt” the app, because the license would belong to Air’s previous owner. Apple doesn’t allow for the transfer of its app licenses, as someone had pointed out in another thread here.

May 8, 2022 8:50 AM in response to jazzbassist

What you can do is adopt the app. But to adopt the app you would have to log into your iCloud account on the computer with Logic Pro instaled on it. App adoption is the only way to get an app on your iCloud account. This process may take up to a few months, that's how long it took me to adopt an app. Hope you found this helpful, and good luck!

May 8, 2022 2:07 PM in response to Radarhus

Thank you so much! I have another DAW for music production, Studio One which I bought and as I'd like to learn how to work with Logic as well I guess my best option for now is to hang on to this copy while I go through the tutorials and if I decide to go with Logic I'll buy the license so I'd have the option of installing it on more than one computer; thanks for your reply

May 8, 2022 4:03 PM in response to jazzbassist

My pleasure, glad to help! I'm sure it's still perfectly fine to use the Logic app you have currently installed on MacBook Air (on a "try before you buy" basis, so to speak).

Moreover, I'd strongly suggest to make a backup copy of it. Right-click on the app bundle filename (i.e. "Logic Pro" or "Logic Pro X", depending on the version) in "Applications" folder, then choose "Compress Logic Pro (X)..." from the context menu that drops down. After that, copy the resulting zip-archive to an external storage device or somewhere on the system drive (but external storage is best in this case). To restore, just unpack this archive into "Applications". This essentially "preserves" the app in its current state and allows to restore it in case something goes wrong (after an update, for example). And, I'd assume, "restoring" it into 'Applications" might work on another Mac as well (and it doesn't hurt to try).

N.B. If the process outlined above works with another Mac, I'd still be careful NOT to use the app for commercial work, though. Cheers!

Logic Pro on a different computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.