Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do retrieve deleted messages

How can I retrieve deleted messages? I don’t think I have them backed up

Posted on May 8, 2022 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2022 6:45 PM

If you were syncing Messages with iCloud and deleted them, they can't be recovered. If you weren't syncing Messages with iCloud, do you have a backup you can restore from? Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    *

ASC YouTube for how to restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from an iCloud backup

ASC YouTube for how to restore your iPhone or iPad from a backup on your Mac

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2022 6:45 PM in response to evelina413

If you were syncing Messages with iCloud and deleted them, they can't be recovered. If you weren't syncing Messages with iCloud, do you have a backup you can restore from? Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    *

ASC YouTube for how to restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from an iCloud backup

ASC YouTube for how to restore your iPhone or iPad from a backup on your Mac

May 8, 2022 6:45 PM in response to evelina413

evelina413 Said:

"How do retrieve deleted messages: How can I retrieve deleted messages? I don’t think I have them backed up"

-------

Recovering Deleted Messages:

What to Consider:

A. Restore from Today's Backup:

Restore your iPhone from a backup of it that contains these messages, and you could recover them.

B. Check Messages App:

If messages was enabled on your iPhone along with your Apple computer, then check and see if the Messages app is enabled on your Mac to see if it exists in it. You'd start up your Mac, not connecting to the Internet, and open the Massages app. Then proceed from there with retrieving it. Important: Be certain you do not connect to the Internet while booting up, as syncing would delete it. So, power off your router to avoid the connection.

May 8, 2022 7:52 PM in response to evelina413

See the article How to delete messages in iCloud – Apple Support

With Messages in iCloud, when you delete a message, attachment or conversation on one device, it will be deleted from all of your devices. This can help free up some space in your iCloud storage, while keeping the rest of your conversations up to date across your devices. Once you've deleted a message, you can't get it back. 

How do retrieve deleted messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.