Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2014 iMac 27" Using as an additional monitor

I have late 2014 iMac 27" and although it is slowing down the monitor is working perfectly, although I can't upgrade to Monterey or any future upgrades. I would like to know if I buy another iMac if I can still use the monitor display as a second monitor (or primary monitor if I buy a smaller screen iMac)

Thanks for any help or advice

Gezzer

Posted on May 9, 2022 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 10:35 AM

If you are considering a new Mac then no yyje 2014 iMac cannot be used as an external display. Target Display Mode is quite dead however please read Target Display Mode and pay close attention to what might work.

"To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable."

Your best bet though is to buy an external display and begin using that. TDM is expensive to setup (expensive cabling), not highly reliable and Apple never intentionally added it as a feature. That it worked at all for users was really a fluke. An external display should be dead reliable and easy to setup which TDM does not satisfy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 10:35 AM in response to GezzerTown

If you are considering a new Mac then no yyje 2014 iMac cannot be used as an external display. Target Display Mode is quite dead however please read Target Display Mode and pay close attention to what might work.

"To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable."

Your best bet though is to buy an external display and begin using that. TDM is expensive to setup (expensive cabling), not highly reliable and Apple never intentionally added it as a feature. That it worked at all for users was really a fluke. An external display should be dead reliable and easy to setup which TDM does not satisfy.

Late 2014 iMac 27" Using as an additional monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.