Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive on Mac Studio and Monterey

In the past when I put my iMac 27 to sleep, my external G-Drive always shut down. Now, when my Mac Studio sleeps or shuts down, the G-Drive keeps running. Is this bad for the drive? Should the drive run 24/7? Should the Mac Studio or Monterey control the G-Drive and shut it down until the system is awake again?

Mac Studio

Posted on May 9, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 7:11 AM

jeromey04 wrote:

In the past when I put my iMac 27 to sleep, my external G-Drive always shut down. Now, when my Mac Studio sleeps or shuts down, the G-Drive keeps running. Is this bad for the drive? Should the drive run 24/7? Should the Mac Studio or Monterey control the G-Drive and shut it down until the system is awake again?

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

compare your results.

If no resolve the "release candidate "for the macOS 12.4 has been issued, look for it in Software updates in the next couple weeks and see then if the issue has been addressed, bug fixes etc...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2022 7:11 AM in response to jeromey04

jeromey04 wrote:

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.3.1

compare your results.

If no resolve the "release candidate "for the macOS 12.4 has been issued, look for it in Software updates in the next couple weeks and see then if the issue has been addressed, bug fixes etc...

External Hard Drive on Mac Studio and Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.