Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This pop up came up, is it legit? I didn’t trust and and closed all the windows I had open.

iPhone X

Posted on May 9, 2022 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 2:31 PM

You actions were correct. It is most definitely, without doubt a scam. Refer to Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams for further information.

4 replies

May 9, 2022 2:56 PM in response to PierceZ

PierceZ wrote:

I don't think that pop-up is legit. I have never seen that pop-up and apple would never force you to install a third-party application, they would probably just have you talk to a support person. I also think it is a scam because it seems very urgent. I would report this to an Apple representative because I don't know what you should do from this point.

It’s a scam.

Clues:

• it’s not using the Apple domain
  • It has a countdown timer (why?)
  • it demands you not close the webpage (why?)
  • it has a threat (exposing your data) (if the miscreants have that level of access, an add-on isn’t going to help.)
  • it references the need to install an app. (Wouldn’t Apple just fix the issue?)
  • it almost certainly involves a third-party VPN app (VPN apps tend sketchy)
  • no link to an Apple tech note to get more info
  • Apple grammar is usually better than “Hacker is tracking you”

In aggregate, an advertiser has attempted to cause fear, and a fear response.

If there were an issue with your security, Apple would update iOS (for all of us), or would lock you out of the Apple website pending a password reset or similar steps, and would not require loading what is almost certainly a third-party app.

This is an attempt that will undoubtedly work on some readers, unfortunately. Add-on VPN apps—outside of those VPNs used to connect into the internal network of an affiliated organization—are already stupidly popular, and for little reason, other than that they make user data collection much easier.

May 9, 2022 2:31 PM in response to BEcca2022

That’s an advertisement, seeking to use lies and fear to convince you to install an app.

An app that may well compromise your privacy by intercepting your traffic.

Ironic, isn’t it? The folks behind that advert are probably actually looking to access your network traffic.

Ignore it.

Your iPhone is fine, no hacks, no scams, no viruses, and your iPhone even used its built-in VPN to access that advertisement.

May 9, 2022 2:34 PM in response to BEcca2022

I don't think that pop-up is legit. I have never seen that pop-up and apple would never force you to install a third-party application, they would probably just have you talk to a support person. I also think it is a scam because it seems very urgent. I would report this to an Apple representative because I don't know what you should do from this point.

This pop up came up, is it legit? I didn’t trust and and closed all the windows I had open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.