Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012. I need to upgrade to Catalina as some of my apps have stopped supporting earlier versions. I can't buy a new Mac Book Pro - you don't have any availability until end of July and I am in stop production.

How to upgrade a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 to the latest Mac OS

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 9, 2022 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 11:07 PM

alainmut Said:

"I have a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012. I need to upgrade to Catalina as some of my apps have stopped supporting earlier versions. I can't buy a new Mac Book Pro - you don't have any availability until end of July and I am in stop production."

-------

Upgrading to the Latest MacOS:

A MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 can go to macOS Catalina and none after. You cannot upgrade it to the latest macOS (Monterey).

Important: Back Up your Mac First:

Be certain you create a backup of your Mac prior to performing this. That way, you will have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

Compare these...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 11:07 PM in response to alainmut

alainmut Said:

"I have a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012. I need to upgrade to Catalina as some of my apps have stopped supporting earlier versions. I can't buy a new Mac Book Pro - you don't have any availability until end of July and I am in stop production."

-------

Upgrading to the Latest MacOS:

A MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012 can go to macOS Catalina and none after. You cannot upgrade it to the latest macOS (Monterey).

Important: Back Up your Mac First:

Be certain you create a backup of your Mac prior to performing this. That way, you will have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

Compare these...

I have a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012. I need to upgrade to Catalina as some of my apps have stopped supporting earlier versions. I can't buy a new Mac Book Pro - you don't have any availability until end of July and I am in stop production.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.