Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule connectivity non existent when connected to Moca to extend network.

I have a time capsule (pizza box) and two airport expresses that I am using to wirelessly extend my network and it works most of the time. One airport express is in the front room, my office and the other is upstairs to provide internet connectivity in those locations as it doesn't reach from the time capsule itself. There is one CAT5 in the house, in my living room and this is how my internet service provider supplies the internet and it is plugged into the back of the time capsule into the WAN port.

My house has coax next to the CAT5 in the living room, coax in every room upstairs and two coaxes in the master bedroom, for a total of 6. The wiring for the coax was all bundled outside of my house with no connectors on the ends.

So I purchased two Moca adapters to hardwire the airport express upstairs. I connected a CAT5 to one of the output ports on the back of the TC, into the Moca adaptor and plugged the Moca adapter into the coax next to the CAT5 in the living room. I then turned on this single Moca adaptor, went outside with a line tester and located the one line that the signal was being transmitted on. I installed a connector on the end and screwed it into the IN side of a 5 way splitter (1 in and 4 outs). I then installed connectors on the rest of the coax lines (5 total - 3 bedrooms and 2 in master), so I took the out of one of the outputs on the 5 way and put it in the input of a 3 way splitter (1 in and 2 out), so I could have all rooms upstairs receiving signal from the Moca in the living room.

Just a recap because I know that was a lot. Time Capsule out, into Moca. Moca into 5 way input. Output 1, bedroom 1, output 2 into bedroom 2, output 3 into bedroom 3, output 4 into 3 way input. 3 way output, both coaxes in master.

I then installed the 2nd Moca adaptor in the master bedroom and plugged it into the WAN port on the back of the airport express and plugged it into one of the coax connectors.

With both Moca adaptors turned on, the adaptors show that they are getting LAN signal and that the Moca networks is up and running. However, there is now no internet, no wifi and the TC's status light shows it was fine but the Airport utility showed it unavailable and the airport express in my office that remained wireless would drop off the network every 5 minutes, turn green but would take an additional 5 minutes to show up in Air Port Utility.

To use wifi and have internet access so I could resume work, I had to shut off the Moca adaptor in the living room.

I would appreciate any assistance that can be offered.

Thank you

Posted on May 10, 2022 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 6:09 AM

Previously.......before you installed the MOCA adapters......the AirPort Express devices were configured to "Extend a wireless network". In this type of setup, the AirPort Express devices connect back to the Time Capsule using a wireless connection.

If you did not reset the AirPort Express devices back to their factory defaults and then set them up again with the MOCA adapter connected..........the AirPort Express devices are still expecting a wireless connection......but.....you are also providing them with a wired Ethernet MOCA connection. This sets up a huge feedback loop on the network, effectively crashing the AirPort Express devices.

Here is how to fix the problem.

Temporarily, move both AirPort Express devices close to the Time Capsule.

Connect a short spare Ethernet cable.......any length will do......from one of the 3 LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express

Power up the Express and let it run for a minute

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click on the Other WiFi Devices button

Click on AirPort Express xxxxxxx

The AirPort Utility window will open up and display the setup for the Express

Type in a name for the AirPort Express

Click Next

The next window should look similar to the example below. Note that the Express is being configured to Extend using Ethernet. This is the correct setting that must appear during the setup.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done and the Express is now configured correctly.

Power off the Express and move it to the remote location where it is needed

Connect the MOCA Adapter / Ethernet connection to the WAN "O" port on the Express

If the MOCA system is working correctly, then so too will the AirPort Express be working correctly.......because you already know that the AirPort Express has been set up correctly. If the Express does not function correctly with the MOCA connection, then there is a problem somewhere in the MOCA system.

Set up the other AirPort Express the same way that you did the first.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2022 6:09 AM in response to MZXII

Previously.......before you installed the MOCA adapters......the AirPort Express devices were configured to "Extend a wireless network". In this type of setup, the AirPort Express devices connect back to the Time Capsule using a wireless connection.

If you did not reset the AirPort Express devices back to their factory defaults and then set them up again with the MOCA adapter connected..........the AirPort Express devices are still expecting a wireless connection......but.....you are also providing them with a wired Ethernet MOCA connection. This sets up a huge feedback loop on the network, effectively crashing the AirPort Express devices.

Here is how to fix the problem.

Temporarily, move both AirPort Express devices close to the Time Capsule.

Connect a short spare Ethernet cable.......any length will do......from one of the 3 LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click on the Other WiFi Devices button

Click on AirPort Express xxxxxxx

The AirPort Utility window will open up and display the setup for the Express

Type in a name for the AirPort Express

Click Next

The next window should look similar to the example below. Note that the Express is being configured to Extend using Ethernet. This is the correct setting that must appear during the setup.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done and the Express is now configured correctly.

Power off the Express and move it to the remote location where it is needed

Connect the MOCA Adapter / Ethernet connection to the WAN "O" port on the Express

If the MOCA system is working correctly, then so too will the AirPort Express be working correctly.......because you already know that the AirPort Express has been set up correctly. If the Express does not function correctly with the MOCA connection, then there is a problem somewhere in the MOCA system.

Set up the other AirPort Express the same way that you did the first.

May 10, 2022 6:02 AM in response to MZXII

I’m assuming these Moca adapters are coaxial Ethernet; basically some updated form of 10 MbE ThinWire Ethernet.

This amount of Wi-Fi equipment in proximity is going to be trouble. You have three (four in 🇯🇵) 2.4 GHz channels to use in total, and a few more channels added in 5 GHz. With this much Wi-Fi gear in proximity, you’re either in a bunker with little radio coverage room to room or floor to floor, or you’re going to be stepping on yourself, and that’s before considering any neighbors or any local ad-hoc networks adding to the din.

For one site that seems similar, I switched away from a nest of AirPort Time Capsule devices a while ago. This due to general instability and weaker coverage with the Time Capsules, and migrated to two Access Pointe with DHCP and other services provided by the LAN. Relatively centrally located for coverage. Previously, two of the Time Capsule devices (themselves configured as APs; what Apple calls “bridged” mode) among those in use showed in Wi-Fi scans as dropping out at random for a minute or so and silently resuming, among other “fun” issues with the old Apple gear.

Put differently, I’d go to newer gear with better characteristics, and fewer. Retire the AirPorts, and demote any Time Capsule devices to NAS usage.

If your Wi-Fi devices are all configured as IP routers and not as APs, you’re not going to have a good day.

May 10, 2022 6:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I think you are right and this is why it crashed. I am using the expresses..(is that even a word?) to wirelessly extend my network and the one in my office will have to remain that way as there is no cabling in that room. But I will give it a shot with the one upstairs and let you know how I make out.

Thanks

May 10, 2022 6:27 AM in response to MZXII

My recommendation would be to set up the Express as I detailed. Configure it with a short Ethernet cable connected between the Time Capsule and Express. Then, connect it to the MOCA system.

The other Express in your office will wirelessly connect to either the Time Capsule wireless or the newly configured Express wireless......whichever is providing the strongest signal. Best to restart the Express in the office so that it will search for the best available wireless connection.

Time Capsule connectivity non existent when connected to Moca to extend network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.