Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Screen Lifting

Why is my screen lifting and what do I do? Well, I know why it is lifting, I took it to a shop and they said it was due to a swollen/swelling battery and it would cost at least 180 (with the cheapest parts) to fix. I couldn't afford it, so I left. But every day, it gets worse at worse. There is black goo spreading around the screen, and the top of the screen just stopped working altogether, as it is fully lifted from it. It will flash green on the occasion and there is this green clump of lines in the corner. BTW, my friend dropped it and now the bottom of the screen is cracked. I saw this be a common thing with iPhone X devices, why? I just got this phone two months ago. Please help.

iPhone X

Posted on May 10, 2022 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 9:30 AM

Hi,

The repair shop is most likely correct, a swollen battery will push up and damage the display. The black goo is the adhesive surrounding the phone which has been pushed out due to the battery swelling. As for the display playing up, it is most likely due to the swelling and pressure on the screen, but could be something else (see: iPhone X screen turned green - Apple Community) as for the touch, this would make sense as the battery will have damaged the digitizer.

I'd strongly recommend getting this repaired, as it will only make your iPhone more unusable and the swollen battery is a big fire hazard.

If you bought this phone from Apple direclty, it may be covered in the one year warranty (Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty) or if you got it elsewhere, they may be able to help.

I hope I have managed to help you, please don't hesiate to reply with follow up questions to anything in my reply.

Will

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2022 9:30 AM in response to lanawilde0

Hi,

The repair shop is most likely correct, a swollen battery will push up and damage the display. The black goo is the adhesive surrounding the phone which has been pushed out due to the battery swelling. As for the display playing up, it is most likely due to the swelling and pressure on the screen, but could be something else (see: iPhone X screen turned green - Apple Community) as for the touch, this would make sense as the battery will have damaged the digitizer.

I'd strongly recommend getting this repaired, as it will only make your iPhone more unusable and the swollen battery is a big fire hazard.

If you bought this phone from Apple direclty, it may be covered in the one year warranty (Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty) or if you got it elsewhere, they may be able to help.

I hope I have managed to help you, please don't hesiate to reply with follow up questions to anything in my reply.

Will

iPhone X Screen Lifting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.