Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently got a MB Air M1; quality of sound when I play music thru the built in speakers is tinny (and generally lousy).

This is my third Mac Book, so I've been about the same process I've always done to try and improve the sound. I opened the Equalizer and made adjustments, using the genre drop down menu. Despite trying the settings I usually use (Pop, R and B, Rock, it continues to sound very tinny.

(Before this I had a 2015 Mac Book Pro) with standard speakers and same settings available.

Thanks in advance for tips to lead me to more adequate sound; I am not able to buy add ons like speakers or software right now, so I hope folks have ideas to help me tinker with the Apple Music software to make it sound adequate. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 10, 2022 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 9:56 AM

Hi NJpsychout,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities! Since the preset options for the equalizer didn't give you the listening experience you'd like, try creating a custom equalizer preset. Here's how:

1. "In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Window > Equalizer.
  2. Drag the sliders to adjust the frequency settings.
  3. Choose Make Preset from the pop-up menu and name your preset.

To rename or delete a preset, choose Edit List from the pop-up menu."

You can find these steps and additional options for adjusting the sound in this article: Adjust the sound quality in Music on Mac. Making some minor adjustments may change the sound to more of what you're looking for.

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 9:56 AM in response to NJpsychout

Hi NJpsychout,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities! Since the preset options for the equalizer didn't give you the listening experience you'd like, try creating a custom equalizer preset. Here's how:

1. "In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Window > Equalizer.
  2. Drag the sliders to adjust the frequency settings.
  3. Choose Make Preset from the pop-up menu and name your preset.

To rename or delete a preset, choose Edit List from the pop-up menu."

You can find these steps and additional options for adjusting the sound in this article: Adjust the sound quality in Music on Mac. Making some minor adjustments may change the sound to more of what you're looking for.

Hope that helps!

I recently got a MB Air M1; quality of sound when I play music thru the built in speakers is tinny (and generally lousy).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.