Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an iPhone as AirPlay speaker?

Hello,

I wonder whether I can use my iPhone as an AirPlay speaker, streaming audio from my Macs. It would be useful to listen to an audio from a file I have on my Mac while I am in a different room, especially with EarPods plugged in. I don't have AirPods, which I understand are the easiest solution.

I can stream audio via AirPlay from the iPhone to the Macs (iMac and MacBook Air) but not the other way around. The iPhone does not appear in the list of devices in the Macs' AirPlay menu.

Thanks!

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on May 11, 2022 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 6:45 AM

You cannot. An iPhone cannot be used as an AirPlay speaker.

You can however use Home Sharing to access any songs, tracks and audio in iTunes / Music App on the Mac from the iPhone, and play it directly on the iPhone.

See here: link-> Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 6:45 AM in response to FU1977

You cannot. An iPhone cannot be used as an AirPlay speaker.

You can however use Home Sharing to access any songs, tracks and audio in iTunes / Music App on the Mac from the iPhone, and play it directly on the iPhone.

See here: link-> Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Can I use an iPhone as AirPlay speaker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.