Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much data can I store on my 2 TB HD?

Hi. I have a 2019 iMac 27 with 2 TB of storage running 10.15.5. I work heavily with photos. How much can I store on my hard drive? For example, is 1.7TB too much? Thanks for any help.

Posted on May 12, 2022 10:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 9:59 AM

If it's truly an HDD (not an SSD) then you will be better off limiting your storage to a max 1.6GB (80% of drive capacity). This is to allow plenty of space for macOS & applications to operate plus the space needed for system & application caches & temp storage - all are variable in size.

Also understand that HDD performance declines as the amount of used space grows; once you reach 50% usage the decline becomes progressively more noticeable. Plus, APFS itself is not kind to HDD performance.

And make sure you regularly make good backups of your data ... it would be a nightmare to lose 1.6GB data.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2022 9:59 AM in response to devora120

If it's truly an HDD (not an SSD) then you will be better off limiting your storage to a max 1.6GB (80% of drive capacity). This is to allow plenty of space for macOS & applications to operate plus the space needed for system & application caches & temp storage - all are variable in size.

Also understand that HDD performance declines as the amount of used space grows; once you reach 50% usage the decline becomes progressively more noticeable. Plus, APFS itself is not kind to HDD performance.

And make sure you regularly make good backups of your data ... it would be a nightmare to lose 1.6GB data.

May 13, 2022 6:30 PM in response to devora120

The screenshot doesn't indicate what kind of drive it is, only that it is formatted as APFS. However, in 2019 the only 2TB option for an iMac was a 2TB Fusion drive, which is a 2TB hard drive that has a 128GB SSD coupled to it to kick performance up a bit - that's probably what you have.

Time Machine backups work fine for most people, but keep in mind that it's only 1 backup, and it's exclusively Time Machine.

I'd suggest at least 1 more backup drive to back up important data on a regular basis. That can be done via the Finder if it's not inconvenient to do manually. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to automate 2x daily backups of critical data to an external drive. These backups are of the actual data folders & files and as such can be used immediately on any other Mac without having to go through any TM gyrations to recover files.

Most experts recommend what is called a "3-2-1" backup strategy: 3 copies of your data consisting of 2 local backups on different devices (drives) and 1 offsite backup (cloud or drive).

How much data can I store on my 2 TB HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.