Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine - can't open .backupbundle with TM

I am trying to access an old file on my TM disk but TM itself doesn't recognize it anymore and if I try to open the bundle directly, I get a popup that says "The disk image couldn't be opened. The operation couldn't be completed. Operation not permitted." The icon of the file shows a closed lock in the lower left corner, leading me to think I could unlock it with sharing and permissions, but I can't make changes in the permissions pane.

I'm fine using Terminal but I have no idea what commands to execute to either unlock this file or to otherwise allow TM to read it.

This particular file was last altered in Nov 2021, at which time I retired it.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Tod

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 13, 2022 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2022 9:34 AM

TodFromIndiana wrote:

I am trying to access an old file on my TM disk but TM itself doesn't recognize it anymore and if I try to open the bundle directly, I get a popup that says "The disk image couldn't be opened. The operation couldn't be completed. Operation not permitted." The icon of the file shows a closed lock in the lower left corner, leading me to think I could unlock it with sharing and permissions, but I can't make changes in the permissions pane.

I'm fine using Terminal but I have no idea what commands to execute to either unlock this file or to otherwise allow TM to read it.

Tod

Time Machine is not made/designed to access file database outside of the TM interface>Enter Time Machine

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple ...

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2022 9:34 AM in response to TodFromIndiana

TodFromIndiana wrote:

Tod

Time Machine is not made/designed to access file database outside of the TM interface>Enter Time Machine

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple ...

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

May 14, 2022 2:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

@leroy

Thank you for your quick and extremely educational response.

First, I am really embarrassed about this. You see, for several years I've found it useful (for me) to open the sparse file and simply select the date. Last time I did this was back several OS releases ago, so that seem to be no longer an option.

Second, when I tried to use the TM interface, it couldn't find the main file, which is on a partition called Backup White. That file is normally backed up using CCC to a partition on a different drive, called Backup Black. The file I referenced above was on Black. Over night I cic a Finder copy of the sparse file from Black to White (2 TB worth). After reading your reply, I again launched TM and it found the file on White, and I was able to restore the folder I needed.

At this time, all is again good.

Sometimes I'm such a smarty-pants thinking I'm smarter than I really am. You've beed a real help and again, thank you.

Tod

time machine - can't open .backupbundle with TM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.