Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone iCloud Backup: How do I include photos on my phone without creating a thumbnail which would delete it off my phone?

I am trying to backup my whole phone, but in the past when I backed up my photos it would delete the actual picture off my phone or leaving a thumbnail. I thought I fixed it by adjusting the settings to stop creating this thumbnail or deleting the photos. Now I am not sure if the actual iCloud Backup is backing up these newer photos. How do I keep all my photos on the phone without removing them from my phone? I don't want to "optimize my phone's space." I have plenty of storage on the phone, but I just want to have access to the photos when I don't have access to wifi or cellular data just to back them up.

I wish apple would just create a way to backup to a external or network drive like they do with time-capsule, so I know my phone is truly backed up.

Posted on May 14, 2022 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2022 12:46 PM

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that is synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail*, Notes, Voice MemosMessages*, shared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data*, call history*, and files* you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, Mail, Health data, call history under iCloud, and files you store in iCloud Drive your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2022 12:46 PM in response to Geocon04

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that is synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail*, Notes, Voice MemosMessages*, shared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data*, call history*, and files* you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, Mail, Health data, call history under iCloud, and files you store in iCloud Drive your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID

iPhone iCloud Backup: How do I include photos on my phone without creating a thumbnail which would delete it off my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.