Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove device vs erase when ipad is lost.

I lost my ipad. For some reason I didn't have the find my ipad app on it. I removed it from my device list, but forgot to erase it first. If someone found it will they be able to get in and see like my notes, wallet, pictures etc.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 14, 2022 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 4:23 AM

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover or manage the iPad have been lost.

If you device is protected by a strong Passcode, unless the Passcode is known to whoever finds the device, your data will remain secure. The iPad has an encrypted filesystem - and without the correct passcode your data will forever remain beyond reach. After a limited number of failed attempts to enter the correct Passcode, the iPad will be disabled - this automatically erasing all cryptographic keys from the iPad.

If you had disabled Find My iPad, the Activation lock that inhibits re-use of the iPad was also disabled - however, your locally stored data will have been crypto-erased.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2022 4:23 AM in response to Nanaoma64

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover or manage the iPad have been lost.

If you device is protected by a strong Passcode, unless the Passcode is known to whoever finds the device, your data will remain secure. The iPad has an encrypted filesystem - and without the correct passcode your data will forever remain beyond reach. After a limited number of failed attempts to enter the correct Passcode, the iPad will be disabled - this automatically erasing all cryptographic keys from the iPad.

If you had disabled Find My iPad, the Activation lock that inhibits re-use of the iPad was also disabled - however, your locally stored data will have been crypto-erased.

May 14, 2022 9:14 PM in response to Nanaoma64

Nanaoma64 Said:

"remove device vs erase when ipad is lost.: I lost my ipad. For some reason I didn't have the find my ipad app on it. I removed it from my device list, but forgot to erase it first. If someone found it will they be able to get in and see like my notes, wallet, pictures etc."

-------

Troubleshooting a Lost Device:

Them Getting In:

Only if they guess the Passcode correctly. If the get locked out, then they are locked out for good. Two-Factor Authentication is a theft deterrent.

Secure your Account:

Having been suspiciously fiddled with, someone likley has your credentials. So, do three Things:

A. Re-Associate All Devices:

Disassociate all devices from your Apple Account, first.  Sign out of iCloud on all of your devices.. Go here to check the devices associated to your account: Check yourApple ID Device list to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support. Then, log in to your Apple iCloud Account on each device.

B. Verify Your Devices:

Verify that your the devices logged in to your account or officially yours, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

C. Consider Modifying your Credentials:

By all means, consider modifying your credentials, starting with a new password.

C. Change the Password and Passcode:

remove device vs erase when ipad is lost.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.