Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Storage

So basically I’ve deleted all of my photos and turned off iCloud photos and the Photos application is still taking up all my iCloud storage space. My albums and recently deleted is empty. I’ve tried force reset but it doesn’t change nothing. What should I do?

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on May 15, 2022 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 9:36 PM

It does not sound like iCloud has synced before you have disabled iCloud Photo. Activate iCloud Photos again, and connect your iPhone to a charger and WiFi and lock the screen - then it should start syncing, and in that way also detects that you have deleted all your photos.

An article about deleting Photos:

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2022 9:36 PM in response to YBMC_

It does not sound like iCloud has synced before you have disabled iCloud Photo. Activate iCloud Photos again, and connect your iPhone to a charger and WiFi and lock the screen - then it should start syncing, and in that way also detects that you have deleted all your photos.

An article about deleting Photos:

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

May 15, 2022 9:33 PM in response to YBMC_

YBMC_ Said:

"Cloud Storage: So basically I’ve deleted all of my photos and turned off iCloud photos and the Photos application is still taking up all my iCloud storage space. My albums and recently deleted is empty. I’ve tried force reset but it doesn’t change nothing. What should I do?"

-------

Troubleshooting iCloud Photos:

Why the Issue?:

You've deleted these as downloaded items. There were not deleted form iCloud. So, that is why they reside. To export them, do so using a computer, as it would be more user-friendly doing so. Do so here: https://www.icloud.com/photos

May 16, 2022 5:31 AM in response to YBMC_

No, it works both places. Inside https://icloud.com, your photos end up when you sync with iCloud Photo, so if, as in your case, there is a sync error between iCloud and your iPhone, then you can "manually" delete Photos from the website .

But usually Photos will also be deleted from iCloud Photos when you delete them directly from your iPhone. I think that because you turned iCloud Photo OFF on your iPhone, either before or right after you deleted the photos, it has not been synced, and therefore they are still taking up space in iCloud.

But perfectly you got the problem solved.

iCloud Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.