Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

autofill not working safari all options enabled

When using autofill on a safari web page on my MacBook Pro M1, Monterey, the pop-up box appears with the correct details displayed from my keychain (from my other devices) and when I use finger ID or enter my user code by hand it does nothing. The pop-up box remains as if I hadn't started yet.

This happens on all websites, I have to type in the details by hand. I am not using Private browsing.

This has happened since purchase. I have seen lots of threads with the same problem, all are answered with the standard answers of enabling Auto-fill. Which I have done.

Another thread suggested enabling Java - which I have also done.

Nothing has resolved the problem. My older MacBook Safari handles autofill with no problems.

Surely there is an answer somewhere?

Posted on May 16, 2022 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 3:57 AM

Q - " when I use finger ID or enter my user code by hand it does nothing. The pop-up box remains as if I hadn't started yet."

A - Using Keychain in iCloud on all computers here. Two on M1 Apple computer with Monterey 12.3.1 and one old circa 2011 Mac mini running High Sierra.

A - Do not get the requirement to " Enter User Code " at all. The Password in Keychain is presented from KeyChain on all devices including iPhone 12 running iOS 15.4.1

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 3:57 AM in response to Steve Hills

Q - " when I use finger ID or enter my user code by hand it does nothing. The pop-up box remains as if I hadn't started yet."

A - Using Keychain in iCloud on all computers here. Two on M1 Apple computer with Monterey 12.3.1 and one old circa 2011 Mac mini running High Sierra.

A - Do not get the requirement to " Enter User Code " at all. The Password in Keychain is presented from KeyChain on all devices including iPhone 12 running iOS 15.4.1

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

May 16, 2022 7:08 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for swift helpful answer.

all steps failed until I tried the last option of setting up a new user account.

password option now fills correctly.

solves the problem but all my software and hundreds of plug-ins and settings for Final Cut Pro and all other software are not present or registered anymore so moving to this account is a major task.

I’ll See what I can do to repair original user account and update if I get a result.

May 16, 2022 7:25 AM in response to Steve Hills

Sorry one needed to discovery this the hard way but at least there is hope visa vie another User Account setup

Any chance some Third Party Applications have been installed that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

autofill not working safari all options enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.