Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flickering screen/artifacts on 2009 Mac Pro

I have an Early 2009 Mac Pro (with the firmware flashed to 5,1) with an rx 560 graphics card. It's currently on High Sierra (I'm not sure about the exact version, but if anyone wants to know I can look). My problem is that whenever I open OBS or a game (like Minecraft), the screen (even if the game is in windowed) will flicker every few seconds, making it really difficult to play. Also, when I use Parallels and play games on Windows, the issue is gone (it was the same case for someone else who had the problem. The difference was that they said that if you restart or put in the original graphics card and restart it should fix it, but it doesn't for me).

I could update to Mojave, but my dad (who was the previous owner and is the tech guy in my family) said that he had a lot of problems and glitches on there. The thing is... I never saw the flickering when he played Minecraft on Mojave...

Someone else also said to update the firmware to 138.0.0.0, but I'm on 144.0.0.0.0 and I still have the issue (or can I only access that firmware in Mojave?)

It would be greatly appreciated if someone would have a solution (and if I must update to Mojave, I'll talk to my dad)

Mac Pro

Posted on May 16, 2022 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 7:54 PM

I have not blown dust out of the fans, but I do use macs fan control. I actually solved it by updating to a specific version of Mojave (since that officially supports my graphics card). The screen doesn't flicker anymore, and I don't need to worry about the Mojave glitches because I have that specific version (10.14.13). That would also explain why my dad never had the flickering problem. Thanks for your help, though!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 7:54 PM in response to BDAqua

I have not blown dust out of the fans, but I do use macs fan control. I actually solved it by updating to a specific version of Mojave (since that officially supports my graphics card). The screen doesn't flicker anymore, and I don't need to worry about the Mojave glitches because I have that specific version (10.14.13). That would also explain why my dad never had the flickering problem. Thanks for your help, though!

Flickering screen/artifacts on 2009 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.